Old 08-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Niall Smyth

Default Garden Waste problem - Dublin Ireland

Hi all

What the hell do I do with my garden waste?

I have one compost bin that is full and rarely used
so I have weekly grass cuttings, about 3million leaves each fall
prunings, weeds etc etc

What can I do with it all??

I cant put it out with the bins or the recycling bins?

PS Happy spring to everyone!
Gos knows Im glas to see it on the way

Cheers

Niall
Dublin

---

Old 08-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "Niall Smyth" contains
these words:

Hi all

What the hell do I do with my garden waste?

I have one compost bin that is full and rarely used
so I have weekly grass cuttings, about 3million leaves each fall
prunings, weeds etc etc

What can I do with it all??

I cant put it out with the bins or the recycling bins?

PS Happy spring to everyone!
Gos knows Im glas to see it on the way

Cheers

Niall
Dublin

---

Mulch around the garden as you go.

Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 AM
Victoria Clare

"Sarah Dale" wrote in
news
Here in North Wales (as they do in the rest of England and Wales), the
council do a door to door collection of compostable garden water for the
council compost heaps.

Not here, they don't. (unless 'compostable garden water' is something
obscure and not just a typo!)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Old 10-03-2004, 04:21 AM
Sarah Dale

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:09:03 +0000, Victoria Clare wrote:

"Sarah Dale" wrote in
news

Here in North Wales (as they do in the rest of England and Wales), the
council do a door to door collection of compostable garden water for the
council compost heaps.

Not here, they don't. (unless 'compostable garden water' is something
obscure and not just a typo!)

Argh! That's a typo! I meant compostible (or is that compostable?) garden
waste rather than water!

Certainly I know councils in Flintshire, Norfolk and Suffolk do door to
door "green" waste collection.

Sarah

Old 10-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Sarah Dale

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:49:51 +0000, Niall Smyth wrote:
What the hell do I do with my garden waste?
I have one compost bin that is full and rarely used
so I have weekly grass cuttings, about 3million leaves each fall
prunings, weeds etc etc
What can I do with it all??
I cant put it out with the bins or the recycling bins?

Hi Niall,

With regards to your exisitng compost, now is a good time of year to turn
your compost heap out, and using the (good) results to mulch round the
garden.

With reagrds to new grass clippings, I use mine to mulch my flower beds. I
progressively work round the garden over the mowing months - starting at
Point A, I mulch to about 2" deep (fresh grass clippings), and keep going
till I've covered all the flower beds once, then start again at POint A.

The same can be done with leaves, although these do tend to blow around
more, and are also disturbed by the cats / birds / whatever.

Here in North Wales (as they do in the rest of England and Wales), the
council do a door to door collection of compostable garden water for the
council compost heaps. I can put grass cuttings, leaves, weeds, branches
up to 10mm into this. I only use mine for hedge prunings etc. because I
have trouble composting the amount of prunings my hedges generate,
everything else I compost (or mulch with) myself.

HTH, Sarah