GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Berries in a shady spot? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/55027-berries-shady-spot.html)

Andy Hunt 10-03-2004 04:20 AM

Berries in a shady spot?

At the bottom of my garden I have (no, not fairies) a shady spot, on the
North-facing side of my garden wall. The wall has ivy all over it, which
cascades off it like a green waterfall, but there is no ivy on this
particular patch of wall. There is also nothing growing in the soil at the
bottom of this patch of wall - not that anything has ever been planted
there, to my knowledge. It's almost like a space has been 'cosmically'
reserved there for something - which is what I hope to discover.

What I was wondering, is:- is there a type of edible berry bush that would
like it in this shady patch? I'm trying to get some more fruits going, I
have my new raspberry cane in a pot, I have a blueberry bush (well I thought
I had two, but one isn't looking too lively), a few alpine strawberry
plants, and I have an apple and a pear tree too. I'm getting a red grape
vine on the weekend, if all goes according to plan. I have a herb garden,
and the rest of the garden is bulbs and flowers and stuff.

I'm hoping to get together enough fruits to have a go at making wine at some
stage, so another berry bush would be good - but it would have to be one
which is OK in the shade.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Andrew