Old 11-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Bill Pritchard

Default Does Size Really Matter?

I've finally decided to pension off our 25yr old Flymo mini hover and buy a
petrol mower. I've decided to get a Honda IZY self propelled. I can buy a 16in.
for £269. The areas I need to mow are 60ftx 20ft and 40ftx20ft. The question
is: will the 16in. cut be alright or should I splash out another £40 and buy
the 18in. and how much difference will it make?
Bill Pritchard
Retired and Emotional
Old 11-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bill
Pritchard writes
I've finally decided to pension off our 25yr old Flymo mini hover and buy a
petrol mower. I've decided to get a Honda IZY self propelled. I can buy a 16in.
for £269. The areas I need to mow are 60ftx 20ft and 40ftx20ft. The question
is: will the 16in. cut be alright or should I splash out another £40 and buy
the 18in. and how much difference will it make?

Assuming you cut along-ways rather than across, the wider one will save
you abut 2 rows on each lawn - it will cut your mowing time by about 12
per cent.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 11-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Bill
Pritchard writes
I've finally decided to pension off our 25yr old Flymo mini hover and buy a
petrol mower. I've decided to get a Honda IZY self propelled. I can buy a

16in.
for £269. The areas I need to mow are 60ftx 20ft and 40ftx20ft. The question
is: will the 16in. cut be alright or should I splash out another £40 and buy
the 18in. and how much difference will it make?

Assuming you cut along-ways rather than across, the wider one will save
you abut 2 rows on each lawn - it will cut your mowing time by about 12
per cent.

There speaks someone who can do 'sums' )))))))))))))))))))))
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Rosie

I bought one of these last year for my large garden, and it's great - I can
recommend it.

It starts first time very reliably - with the previous one I would spend 40
minutes humiliating myself in front of the neighbours before running away to
the shed.

ROSIE

Old 21-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jane Ransom wrote:
In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Bill
Pritchard writes
I've finally decided to pension off our 25yr old Flymo mini hover and buy a
petrol mower. I've decided to get a Honda IZY self propelled. I can buy a

16in.
for £269. The areas I need to mow are 60ftx 20ft and 40ftx20ft. The question
is: will the 16in. cut be alright or should I splash out another £40 and buy
the 18in. and how much difference will it make?

Assuming you cut along-ways rather than across, the wider one will save
you abut 2 rows on each lawn - it will cut your mowing time by about 12
per cent.

There speaks someone who can do 'sums' )))))))))))))))))))))

Well, yes, but they aren't the right ones!

At that size, the time spent turning round will be comparable with
the time spent running along the row - so it's more like 6%. Add
in the overheads, and call it 5%.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jane Ransom wrote:
In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Bill
Pritchard writes

Old 21-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jane Ransom wrote:
In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Bill
Pritchard writes

Old 21-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jane Ransom wrote:
In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Bill
Pritchard writes

Old 29-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Jane Ransom wrote:
In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Bill
Pritchard writes
I've finally decided to pension off our 25yr old Flymo mini hover and buy a
petrol mower. I've decided to get a Honda IZY self propelled. I can buy a
16in.
for £269. The areas I need to mow are 60ftx 20ft and 40ftx20ft. The question
is: will the 16in. cut be alright or should I splash out another £40 and buy
the 18in. and how much difference will it make?

Assuming you cut along-ways rather than across, the wider one will save
you abut 2 rows on each lawn - it will cut your mowing time by about 12
per cent.

There speaks someone who can do 'sums' )))))))))))))))))))))

Well, yes, but they aren't the right ones!

At that size, the time spent turning round will be comparable with
the time spent running along the row - so it's more like 6%. Add
in the overheads, and call it 5%.

Won't make that much difference - each row, roughly, consists of 1 row
and one turn, saving 2 rows also saves 2 turns. So original answer still
stands.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 29-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton writes:

| At that size, the time spent turning round will be comparable with
| the time spent running along the row - so it's more like 6%. Add
| in the overheads, and call it 5%.
|
| Won't make that much difference - each row, roughly, consists of 1 row
| and one turn, saving 2 rows also saves 2 turns. So original answer still
| stands.

If the time to turn was independent of the size of the mower, yes,
but it takes longer to turn a bigger mower.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-03-2004, 07:39 PM
the q

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Jane Ransom wrote:
In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Bill
Pritchard writes
[...]

More importantly how rough is your grass? If it is rough and the engine on

both mowers is the same I'd go for the smaller cut to give you more chance
of cutting cleanly.
The Q

Old 29-03-2004, 07:47 PM
the q