Old 11-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Richard Kerry

Default Climber recommendation please

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a good climber for a trellis panel facing South West, I
live in Hants so the soil is clay and chalk. I would like something that is
vigorous and will cover a trellis area of 6' high by 12' wide, I don't mind
if it's evergreen or not but it must looks great......fragrant would be a
bonus!

Maybe a clematis or something else maybe?

Any ideas much appreciated.

kind regards,
Richard

Old 11-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Richard Kerry" wrote in message
Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a good climber for a trellis panel facing South West,

live in Hants so the soil is clay and chalk. I would like something that

is
vigorous and will cover a trellis area of 6' high by 12' wide, I don't

mind
if it's evergreen or not but it must looks great......fragrant would be a
bonus!

Maybe a clematis or something else maybe?

Any ideas much appreciated.

kind regards,
Richard

Lonicera similis delavayi evergreen scented honeysuckle. not if site is cold
and windy otherwise its a cracker :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-03-2004, 01:39 AM
Jason Pope

Richard Kerry wrote:
Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a good climber for a trellis panel facing South West, I
live in Hants so the soil is clay and chalk. I would like something that is
vigorous and will cover a trellis area of 6' high by 12' wide, I don't mind
if it's evergreen or not but it must looks great......fragrant would be a
bonus!

Maybe a clematis or something else maybe?

Any ideas much appreciated.

kind regards,
Richard

I always have a soft spot for passiflora's, there's so many colours now
and all do well on a 'south' facing wall. Their roots go quite deep and
they like quite a bit of water, so they're not to bad in 'clay" soils.

My passiflora caerulea covered three fence panels last season, flowered
until late November and bore plenty of fruit for the duration.

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:43 AM
Alison Johnson

"Jason Pope" wrote
My passiflora caerulea covered three fence panels last season, flowered
until late November and bore plenty of fruit for the duration.

Hi, Jason. Could you give me some advice on pruning passiflora (assuming
they need to be pruned?) Last year I planted a caerulea, but it just grew
one very long lanky stem. How do I get it to bush out and cover the fence
panel?

Many thanks.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Jason Pope

Alison Johnson wrote:
"Jason Pope" wrote

My passiflora caerulea covered three fence panels last season, flowered
until late November and bore plenty of fruit for the duration.

Hi, Jason. Could you give me some advice on pruning passiflora (assuming
they need to be pruned?) Last year I planted a caerulea, but it just grew
one very long lanky stem. How do I get it to bush out and cover the fence
panel?

Many thanks.

Cut it back quite hard in late autumn after it's finished flowering, cut
it back to around 4-5 buds on the stem, if there is just one stem. If
there's more prune them to 1-2 buds from the main stem.

As the new growing season sets in, cut of some of the vigourous growth
to encourage new shoots and flowers.

I hope this helps!

Jason

Old 12-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Alison Johnson

"Jason Pope" wrote
Hi, Jason. Could you give me some advice on pruning passiflora

(assuming
they need to be pruned?) Last year I planted a caerulea, but it just

grew
one very long lanky stem. How do I get it to bush out and cover the

fence
panel?

Cut it back quite hard in late autumn after it's finished flowering, cut
it back to around 4-5 buds on the stem, if there is just one stem. If
there's more prune them to 1-2 buds from the main stem.

As the new growing season sets in, cut of some of the vigourous growth
to encourage new shoots and flowers.

Thanks, Jason. I'll take the snippers to it later this month once the
weather has warmed up a bit.

Regards,