GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Espaliering fruit trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/55296-espaliering-fruit-trees.html)

Alec Powell 12-03-2004 11:40 PM

Espaliering fruit trees

Can one cheat one espaliering fruit trees by removing a "horizontal"
from further up the main stem of the plant and grafting it in position
where it is required lower down?
I can't think of a reason so far but I'm sure if it's not possible then
someone on the ng will tell me the error of my ways :-)
Cheers,
Alec Powell
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Jaques d'Alltrades 12-03-2004 11:43 PM

Espaliering fruit trees

The message
from Alec Powell contains these words:

Can one cheat one espaliering fruit trees by removing a "horizontal"
from further up the main stem of the plant and grafting it in position
where it is required lower down?

No. Well, not with any hope of getting a usable branch. (Depending on
how big the tree is, of course.)

I can't think of a reason so far but I'm sure if it's not possible then
someone on the ng will tell me the error of my ways :-)

The best thing would be to bud a new branch on where you want it.

If you weren't lurking when we talked about budding, shout again.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/