Old 30-08-2004, 10:38 AM
mich

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , lynd
writes

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message

I doubt whether the OP cares a damn whether *I* can see it. The point I
was making was that several ISPs trim off binaries so that the OP was
posting in a way that made sure that a good number of those from whom he
was seeking advice were not in a position to be able to give that
advice.

But I think the point here is not so mcu what people have said as the way
they chose to say it?

And again Kay, your choice of comment here reflects the approach.

Its crass and rude and is off putting to all posters.
Although it could be a reflection of modern times.

let me offer a different example. In the past if someone had B.O. most
people would have said nothing - just moved away ( in this internet context
not responded). Others who could deal with the smell ( in this case can see
the picture) would deal with it stoically.

Someone may have politely taken that person aside and very gently tried to
suggest that the person needs a deoderant or a wash ( perhaps in this
context - *politely* suggesting that a different form of posting may be
required).

Now though someone just shouts out to the whole room " COR, YOU
STINK!!!!!!" and possibly even worse add "P*SS O** ( the equivillent here
being the remarks made by some)

Its embarrassing to all and hurtful to the individual.
Have we lost our manners?

I make mistakes all the time - here typo's spelling mistakes, in life all
sorts of things. I a just human. I know others make mistakes too - they are
human. But some are "SO Perfect" that they choose to criticise and shout
about the mistakes of others.

There are two quotes from my childhood that come to mind ( both biblical
actually) - I'll use the most modern paraphrase for the first:
Dont criticise unless you want to be criticised. If you criticise the
criticism that comes back will be more than that given out. How can you help
remove a speck from your friends eye if you have a ruddy great big log in
your own?

and ( using the old translation)

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

You have an interesting sig - pitty its not heeded by yourself here.

Old 30-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Mike

There are net nannies with the touch of velvet, few and far between I am
afraid, then you have the net nanny on a par with Hitler's SS, the majority
I am afraid.

Of course these did have the advantage of not having to learn newsgroup
netiquette as they were born with it. No learning curve with them. Possibly
born with the skill to drive and didn't have any 'L' plates, that's why they
are unable to tolerate those of us who unfortunately had to learn to drive,
by being taught by someone else, and then have to take a test as I did on
25th July 1955.

Mike

Old 30-08-2004, 12:06 PM
jakell

please see enclosed reply I sent to "Cerumin", I didn't think it was bad
enough to earn his response, but if my manner of writting is not what is
expected at groups, I would appreciate any advice people can give.
From: "C"
To: "James Kelly"
Subject: what is it?
Date: 29 August 2004 20:00

Indeed how stupid of you not to first read the group before contributing
even, as you will have seen, and hopefully learnt some groups welcome
picture and are normally tagged "binary" others do not. I didn't block your
picture my newsgroup server did because you broke the rules, you however
seem not only to be a novice but an argumentative one and therefore I have
now totally blocked you.

You might learn how to use a spell checker as well it might make your emails
and Usenet postings more accurate and readable.

I see from your headers

""From: "James Kelly"
To: "Cerumen"
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:34:13 +0100

version=2.64

You use Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
that has a default spell check, try allowing it to do it's job.

Goodbye

Old 30-08-2004, 12:45 PM
mich

. uk...
From: "C"
To: "James Kelly"
Date: 29 August 2004 20:00

Snipping all .... for bandwidth ( another nettiquette thing)

Microsoft Outlook does not have always have a default spell checker. You
have to set it to spell check. A novice may not know this either and
obviously the less than novice suggesting it not correctly informed.

I use outlook and my ( so called default) checker, rarely kicks in
properly despite having it checked to kick in.
So there are more things in Heaven and Earth Horatio..... and not spelling
correctly isnt going to stop the sun coming up or going down is it?

Indeed how stupid of you not to first read the group before contributing
even, as you will have seen, and hopefully learnt some groups welcome
picture and are normally tagged "binary" others do not. I didn't block

your
picture my newsgroup server did because you broke the rules, you however
seem not only to be a novice but an argumentative one and therefore I have
now totally blocked you.

You might learn how to use a spell checker as well it might make your

emails
and Usenet postings more accurate and readable.

I see from your headers

""From: "James Kelly"
To: "Cerumen"

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , GOOD GOLLY MISS
mOLLY writes

Old 30-08-2004, 12:47 PM
mich

And tops posting ....... opps , didnt clear the bandwidth. Rev. Mother I
have sinned.
I made a mistake.

Old 30-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Kay

In article , mich
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , lynd
writes

I doubt whether the OP cares a damn whether *I* can see it. The point I
was making was that several ISPs trim off binaries so that the OP was
posting in a way that made sure that a good number of those from whom he
was seeking advice were not in a position to be able to give that
advice.

But I think the point here is not so mcu what people have said as the way
they chose to say it?

And again Kay, your choice of comment here reflects the approach.

Its crass and rude and is off putting to all posters.

Although it could be a reflection of modern times.

It is not a reflection of modern times. It is a reflection of words like
'snotty' in the post I was replying to. My original response was
perfectly polite, and helpful in that I gave a good reason why it made
sense not to post binaries here. My second post was a trifle short
tempered, but was in response to one which was insulting, and to an
attitude of 'I've got a fast download and an ISP which passes on
binaries, so it doesn't matter about the conventions of usenet or the
problems of those still using slow dial up connections'.

I'm damned if I see the need to remain unfailingly polite in the face of
rudeness from others.

You have an interesting sig - pitty its not heeded by yourself here.

If you are addressing me, I think you have completely lost track of who
posted what.

--
Kay

Old 30-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Mike

I'm damned if I see the need to remain unfailingly polite in the face of
rudeness from others.

So if somebody swore at you, you would lower yourself to their level and
swear back?

I know of a past 'Manager' who did that.

One should lead by example, bring them up to your standard.

Mike

Old 30-08-2004, 04:36 PM
mich

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , mich
writes

You have an interesting sig - pitty its not heeded by yourself here.

If you are addressing me, I think you have completely lost track of who
posted what.

Kay

No I didnt loose sight of who posted what.
Your sig is above isnt it Kay?

As I said, a pitty you dont heed it.

Old 30-08-2004, 04:37 PM
mich

"Mike" wrote in message

I'm damned if I see the need to remain unfailingly polite in the face of
rudeness from others.

So if somebody swore at you, you would lower yourself to their level and
swear back?

I know of a past 'Manager' who did that.

One should lead by example, bring them up to your standard.

I agree with this whole heartedly.

Old 30-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Franz Heymann

"lynd" wrote in message

[snip]

Well, I guess if people give snotty and ill thought replies , which

I guess
were meant to be *whitty*,

The word you want is "witty".

Surely a simple, sorry this group doesnt take binary pictures and

*I* cant
see it would be better.

Some of us on the other hand do not have machinery which is

floorewd

What is "floorewd"?

by
binary and do not have net nanny ISP's who remove them for us!

Well, you can't expect to have everything.

I could see the picture. I reckon a lot could and are afraid to say

because
of the silly and in some cases downright nasty replies saying so

is
likely to cause

Please learn that poisoned binary files are a favourite way of
propagating viruses.
Most newsgroups, other than the *.bin ones are supposed to be
text-only files.

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Franz Heymann

"mich" wrote in message

You wrote too much.
Do you really believe that anybody will pay any attention to your
mouthings other than in the tone I am displaying here?

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Sacha

On 30/8/04 2:34 pm, in article , "Mike"
wrote:

I'm damned if I see the need to remain unfailingly polite in the face of
rudeness from others.

So if somebody swore at you, you would lower yourself to their level and
swear back?

I know of a past 'Manager' who did that.

One should lead by example, bring them up to your standard.

Mike

Which will mean that you'll stop trying to stir things up then Mike?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Kay

In article , mich
writes

"Mike" wrote in message

I'm damned if I see the need to remain unfailingly polite in the face of
rudeness from others.

So if somebody swore at you, you would lower yourself to their level and
swear back?

No. Just as in this thread I didn't hurl back insults such as had been
thrown at me.

--
Kay

Old 30-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Kay

In article , mich
writes

No I didnt loose sight of who posted what.
Your sig is above isnt it Kay?

That was not the quotation you appeared to be commenting on. If it was
that sig that you meant, the context of your comment suggests you
understand it in a different way from me.

--
Kay

Old 30-08-2004, 05:41 PM
Mike

So if somebody swore at you, you would lower yourself to their level and
swear back?

I know of a past 'Manager' who did that.

One should lead by example, bring them up to your standard.

Mike

Which will mean that you'll stop trying to stir things up then Mike?
--

I take it you agree that people should be able to swear and use bad language
at you and not bring it to their attention, that it is the language of the

"I think not"

Have you seen me swear?

No. So why should I accept people swearing at me?

Language of the gutter and proof that they do not comprehend the English
Language.

Channel 2 @ 9.00pm. I have read the write up on pages 66 and 68 of the Radio
Times. By the looks of things, not the sort of children to be proud of, and
as a female, I guess you are not toooo pleased at their being a member of
your sex.

And in case any newbie thinks I am a 'goodie goodie' doesn't swear, drink,
smoke or gamble you are wrong. I have served in the Royal Navy, and worked
in Shipyards and on Building Sites. There is a place for everything, and
swearing in public is a no no and I regard these newsgroups as VERY public.

You will now pull that to pieces Sacha, but that is your way with those
'outside' the 'inner circle' of uk.rec.gardening.

Mike
Who doesn't knowingly tell lies