Old 30-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Mike

I'm damned if I see the need to remain unfailingly polite in the face

of
rudeness from others.

So if somebody swore at you, you would lower yourself to their level

and
swear back?

No. Just as in this thread I didn't hurl back insults such as had been
thrown at me.

--
Kay

but by your own admission, you failed to stay polite.

What do you do if you are passing through a doorway and then hold it open
for the people coming or going through next and fail to say 'Thank you',
accept that as 'the norm' and do the same thing yourself next time? Thus
lowering your standards to theirs?

Why not bring them up in the world with some manners?

"I'm sorry, what was that you said?"
'I didn't say anything'
"Oh, I thought you said Thank you"

As I walked into a Pedestrian Precinct, I saw a lady sitting on a seat ahead
of me drop something, "Excuse me, I think you have dropped something" and
pointed to it
'Oh it's only rubbish'
"Would it not be a good idea to put it in the Rubbish bin AT THE END OF THE
SEAT?"

she picked it up and put it in the bin.

Only one thing I am ashamed to say about this case.

She was about my age. :-(( Should have known better.

Do you, or Sacha, just drop your litter where you finish with it?

"I think not"

so why accept it from others?

and before you jump back and shout abuse at me,
..
..
..
..
..

think of what I am saying

Mike

Old 30-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Mike

If only life was that simple.

Life is as complicated as YOU wish to make it

Mike

Old 30-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Sacha

On 30/8/04 4:41 pm, in article , "Mike"
wrote:

snip
You will now pull that to pieces Sacha, but that is your way with those
'outside' the 'inner circle' of uk.rec.gardening.

I don't know of any inner circle in urg but I do know that if there is a bad
situation which has nothing to do with you, you can never resist jumping in
to make it worse. As you are doing now.
Kay has been rude to nobody but somebody who can't be bothered to observe
the group or find out anything about it - apparently - has been rather rude
to her. And you, being in a minority of one and with a personal axe to
grind, simply have to egg them on.
WHEN you can contribute as much to this group as Kay does, which is of
interest and use to the group, you might be in a position to comment
usefully on the posts of the *gardening* people here. It will, of course,
then be a cold and snowy day in Hell but I'm sure we can wait.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-08-2004, 07:09 PM
mich

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

You wrote too much.
Do you really believe that anybody will pay any attention to your
mouthings other than in the tone I am displaying here?

Franz

Frankly, I think your tone says far more about you than it does me.

Old 30-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message

I'm damned if I see the need to remain unfailingly polite in the

face of
rudeness from others.

So if somebody swore at you, you would lower yourself to their level

and
swear back?

No. Never. I swear back at them from on high.

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 07:45 PM
mich

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "jakell" contains these words:

When newsgroups are created, the proposers have to present a
democratically-agreed charter for that group which lays down the ground
rules of what the group is for, and whether it's a binary, or non-binary
group.This group, like many others, was set up as a non-binary one (no
pictures).Competent isps and newsreaders, comply with those Usenet
conventions by stripping binary posts sent to non-binary groups.
Reputable isps include "compliance with Usenet charters" in their
clients' conditions of service; in other words clients who repeatedly
abuse usenet, often get their account terminated by the isp.

None of my isp's or newsreaders must be reputable then g
I have three and it came through clearly on all of them g

But frankly, cutting the chase on all of this. There was no need for the
initial responses made to the OP!
They were hurtful and unnecessary.
Thats my opinion. I am entitled to it as much as you are to yours ( all of
you) and I have no intention of replying further to any posts here.

Old 30-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Mike

Thus Baraclough does spake!!

All ye shall heed what Baraclough does spake!!

..
..
..
..

(Did wonder when she was going to pop up)

Old 30-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Mike

Thus Sacha shall spake unto us also!!

The terrible twins.
Baraclough and Sacha.

There is no North and South divide for as long as Devon and the Scottish
Isles shall speak 'Area unto area'

(With apologies to BBC 'Nation shall speak unto Nation' sorry if you are not
old enough to appreciated when manners were of somewhat important, and we
who live, or try to live by those standards are sat on)

Tin Hats on everybody, Baraclough and Sacha will now fire broadsides..

:-)) Have a nice day :-))

Would Mabbett care to make a contribution?????????????

Old 30-08-2004, 09:04 PM
jakell

It was "Cerumin's" closing comment on his original reply that prompted me to
reply, athought I did think it would go through the ng...another silly
mistake, but I will learn. He said the whole post had been deleted
"thankfully"-aren't learners allowed mistakes without being held up to
ridicule. Thanks to all who responded in a civilised manner.
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "jakell" contains these words:

please see enclosed reply I sent to "Cerumin", I didn't think it was bad
enough to earn his response, but if my manner of writting is not what is
expected at groups, I would appreciate any advice people can give.

You emailed to Chris;

I'm sorry that you think blocking a picture of a plant is so great.

Being
novice to computing I was unaware of the restrictions on getting

information
from what appeared to be a group on gardening, which afterall is a

mainly
visual experience. How stupid of me.

The users of this newsgroup do not make the rules which govern the
creation of Usenet groups.

When newsgroups are created, the proposers have to present a
democratically-agreed charter for that group which lays down the ground
rules of what the group is for, and whether it's a binary, or non-binary
group.This group, like many others, was set up as a non-binary one (no
pictures).Competent isps and newsreaders, comply with those Usenet
conventions by stripping binary posts sent to non-binary groups.
Reputable isps include "compliance with Usenet charters" in their
clients' conditions of service; in other words clients who repeatedly
abuse usenet, often get their account terminated by the isp.

That's one reason why it's important for you to understand how usenet

works.

How to present posts, what kind are allowed, and how to get the best
from the group, is all explained in an easy to understand welcome post
that appears every week, called abc for newcomers. (It isn't called that
to be patronising, but to make sure it appears at the top of alphabetic
post listings).

Having been given straight information that you had posted something
we can't see, it was even sillier of you to compound it by haranguing
Chris in private email as if it was his fault.

It's not his personal choice to reject your picture, any more than he
decided you need a licence for vehicle driving and should drive on the
left. This is just the normal accepted convention that keeps usenet
traffic flowing and works to everyone's benefit.

Janet.

Old 30-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Mike

aren't learners allowed mistakes without being held up to
ridicule.

Not in this newsgroup with so many experts and net nannies watching over you
:-((

Old 30-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message

[snip the nonsense]

Quit preaching.

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message

[snip]

And in case any newbie thinks I am a 'goodie goodie' doesn't swear,

drink,
smoke or gamble you are wrong. I have served in the Royal Navy, and

worked
in Shipyards and on Building Sites. There is a place for everything,

and
swearing in public is a no no and I regard these newsgroups as VERY

public.

Good for you. Now go away.

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Mike

[snip the nonsense]

Advice to make the world a nicer place, certainly not nonsense, unless you
are unable to comprehend.

Quit preaching.

Preaching? "I think not"

Franz

Mike
Have a nice day, I will :-))

Old 30-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Franz Heymann

"mich" wrote in message

You wrote too much.
Do you really believe that anybody will pay any attention to your
mouthings other than in the tone I am displaying here?

Franz

Frankly, I think your tone says far more about you than it does me.

Of course it does. I intend it to do so.

Franz

Old 30-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Mike

Good for you. Now go away.

Franz

Ah! A new net nanny?

By whose authority do you tell me to go away?