Old 14-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Trevor Appleton

Default Grafting Daphne

Have just had the unpleasant task of felling my favourite shrub in the
garden - an 8ft tall Daphne bholua 'Darjeeling'.

I was instructed by the Chief Domestic that it had to go as it was blocking
the view from the conservatory, fortunately some of it is left to grow on as
it had two stems. However, I now have masses of grafting material if I only
had some rootstocks.

Any ideas? Are there any commonly available plants that would do?

I have a few small Daphne retusa, which it would be a shame to hack, but I
could use these if they were suitable.

Trevor

East Yorkshire

Old 14-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Mary Fisher

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
Have just had the unpleasant task of felling my favourite shrub in the
garden - an 8ft tall Daphne bholua 'Darjeeling'.

I was instructed by the Chief Domestic that it had to go as it was

blocking
the view from the conservatory, fortunately some of it is left to grow on

as
it had two stems. However, I now have masses of grafting material if I

only
had some rootstocks.

Any ideas? Are there any commonly available plants that would do?

I have a few small Daphne retusa, which it would be a shame to hack, but I
could use these if they were suitable.

Trevor

East Yorkshire

I'll be interested in replies to this, as far as I've seen the received
wisdom is that daphnes are very difficult to propagate by any method.

I bought one last year and it was delightful. I moved it this year and it
has lot of buds and a few flowers. Most buds, though, are pecked off by the
hens :-(

Rather than move it again I'd like to propagate it to somewhere safer.

Mary

Old 14-03-2004, 11:39 PM
ChurchYardYew

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
Have just had the unpleasant task of felling my favourite shrub in the
garden - an 8ft tall Daphne bholua 'Darjeeling'.

I was instructed by the Chief Domestic that it had to go as it was

blocking
the view from the conservatory, fortunately some of it is left to grow on

as
it had two stems. However, I now have masses of grafting material if I

only
had some rootstocks.

Any ideas? Are there any commonly available plants that would do?

I have a few small Daphne retusa, which it would be a shame to hack, but I
could use these if they were suitable.

Trevor

East Yorkshire

Hello,

Your Daphne retusa plants will be fine for grafting on to. I normally use
mezereum as rootstock material.

Regards

Martin Froggatt.

Old 15-03-2004, 09:12 AM
martin

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:19:55 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

[...]

Are you sure it wasn't done by the neighbour's cats?
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old 16-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Chris Boulby

In message , Trevor Appleton
writes
Have just had the unpleasant task of felling my favourite shrub in the
garden - an 8ft tall Daphne bholua 'Darjeeling'.

I was instructed by the Chief Domestic that it had to go as it was blocking
the view from the conservatory, fortunately some of it is left to grow on as
it had two stems. However, I now have masses of grafting material if I only
had some rootstocks.

Any ideas? Are there any commonly available plants that would do?

I have a few small Daphne retusa, which it would be a shame to hack, but I
could use these if they were suitable.

Trevor

East Yorkshire

Hi Trevor,

Not knowing any better, I foolishly put some tips of D. tangutica into a
mix of sand and vermiculite, my favourite medium for propagating almost
anything, and about 30% rooted for me in the unheated greenhouse in
shade. So if you have loads anyway, why not stick a few growing tips in
to see if you have any luck. I keep the medium moist but not wet.

Cheers

Christine
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias

Daphne Pete United Kingdom 9 26-07-2011 10:40 AM
Help - daphne , a bit urgent. mich United Kingdom 7 27-09-2004 12:28 PM
Daphne bholua 'Jaqueline Postill' Rod United Kingdom 4 29-01-2004 07:13 PM
Daphne Pete United Kingdom 0 04-01-2004 11:07 AM
Daphne Odora- diagnosis, please skg Gardening 2 14-04-2003 07:08 AM