Old 16-03-2004, 05:36 AM
KEVIN MORRISSEY

Default New Gardener, not got a clue !!!

Hi,

Can anyone help on a simple question and my problem.

My next door neighbour has 'kindly' built an extension next to my house, which means I am now staring at a boring wall when I look out of my kitchen window.

My idea is to place some trestles on the wall and add some climber types of plants.

It is a shaded area most of the day, only getting sun about 3pm for about an hour to 2 hours. The 'soil' is basically clay, so I would need I think a hardy plant with these conditions.

I'm thinking of some kind of an 'ivy', but don't know where to start.

Any tips, advice or pointer would be appreciated.

--
Regards,
Kev M

Old 16-03-2004, 05:36 AM
Mary Fisher

"KEVIN MORRISSEY" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone help on a simple question and my problem.

My next door neighbour has 'kindly' built an extension next to my house,
which means I am now staring at a boring wall when I look out of my kitchen
window.

My idea is to place some trestles on the wall and add some climber types
of plants.

It is a shaded area most of the day, only getting sun about 3pm for
about an hour to 2 hours. The 'soil' is basically clay, so I would need I
think a hardy plant with these conditions.

I'm thinking of some kind of an 'ivy', but don't know where to start.

We used Goldheart ivy on the side of our garage which is most of my view
from the kitchen sink, it really is cheerful and needs minimal maintenance.
Takes a year or two to get going though. If I'd known what I know now I'd
have sown annuals in the interim, especially canary creeper, which is very
jolly.

Mary

--
Regards,
Kev M

Old 16-03-2004, 05:36 AM
Mike

My idea is to place some trestles on the wall and add some climber types of plants.

Might have a spot of bother with neighbour if you actually 'fix' to the wall :-))

A good number of years ago, I came to an agreement with my neighbour over the fence at the side of my house. I had two external Chimney Breasts and a fence outside of those. The fence was serving no useful purpose and I suggested to my neighbour that if I removed it, it would give him some extra width for his drive way to his garage at the rear of the buildings. We both had Jaguar cars and we were very conscious of the need to 'drive past obstructions with care' and it would help him out.

I recently heard, that the new people in what was my house, have taken it to Solicitor level to get the 'boundary' established and re-instated to how it was some 40 years ago!!!

Mike

Old 16-03-2004, 05:36 AM
Cicero

"KEVIN MORRISSEY" wrote in message news:Jjo5c.64$jr2.28@newsfe1-win...
Hi,

Can anyone help on a simple question and my problem.

My next door neighbour has 'kindly' built an extension next to my house, which means I am now staring at a boring wall when I look out of my kitchen window.

My idea is to place some trestles on the wall and add some climber types of plants.

It is a shaded area most of the day, only getting sun about 3pm for about an hour to 2 hours. The 'soil' is basically clay, so I would need I think a hardy plant with these conditions.

I'm thinking of some kind of an 'ivy', but don't know where to start.

Any tips, advice or pointer would be appreciated.

--
Regards,
Kev M

=================
You might consider several 'Kerria' which would solve the problem of attaching anything to the wall.

Cic.

Old 16-03-2004, 05:37 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message (Jjo5c.64$jr2.28@newsfe1-win)
from "KEVIN MORRISSEY" ) contains these words:

Please don't post in HTML - in proper newsreaders it renders to
something similar to this.

(Angle brackets changed so you can see the effect)

(!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN")
(HTML)(HEAD)
(META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1")
(META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR)
(STYLE)(/STYLE)
(/HEAD)
(BODY bgColor=#ffffff)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)Hi,(/FONT)(/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)(/FONT) (/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)Can anyone help on a simple question and my
problem.(/FONT)(/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)(/FONT) (/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)My next door neighbour has 'kindly' built an
extension next to my house, which means I am now staring at a boring
wall when I
look out of my kitchen window.(/FONT)(/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)(/FONT) (/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)My idea is to place some trestles on the
wall and
add some climber types of plants.  (/FONT)(/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)(/FONT) (/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)It is a shaded area most of the day, only
getting
sun about 3pm for about an hour to 2 hours.  The 'soil' is
basically clay,
so I would need I think a hardy plant with these conditions.(/FONT)(/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)(/FONT) (/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)I'm thinking of some kind of an 'ivy', but
don't
know where to start.(/FONT)(/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)(/FONT) (/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)Any tips, advice or pointer would be
appreciated.(/FONT)(/DIV)
(DIV)(FONT face=Arial size=2)(BR)-- (BR)Regards,(BR)Kev
M(/FONT)(/DIV)(/BODY)(/HTML)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/