GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strawberry question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/55852-strawberry-question.html)

Gary Poston 17-03-2004 04:46 AM

Strawberry question

Hi Everyone
On digging my allotment today and general tidying up, I noticed that some of
my strawberry leaves have become old and brown, what I would like to know
is, Do I cut off all the old leaves so this would encourage new growth?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Martin Sykes 17-03-2004 08:39 AM

Strawberry question

"Gary Poston" wrote in message
Hi Everyone
On digging my allotment today and general tidying up, I noticed that some

of
my strawberry leaves have become old and brown, what I would like to know
is, Do I cut off all the old leaves so this would encourage new growth?

Thanks in advance

Gary

It won't make a lot of immediate difference to the plant but if you can be
bothered to cut them off, it will help with prevention of pests and disease
by letting the air circulate better and giving slugs less places to hide

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

nambucca 18-03-2004 01:22 PM

Strawberry question

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
"Gary Poston" wrote in message
Hi Everyone
On digging my allotment today and general tidying up, I noticed that

some
of
my strawberry leaves have become old and brown, what I would like to

know
is, Do I cut off all the old leaves so this would encourage new growth?

Thanks in advance

Gary

It won't make a lot of immediate difference to the plant but if you can be
bothered to cut them off, it will help with prevention of pests and

disease
by letting the air circulate better and giving slugs less places to hide

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Be sure to check for vine weevil too ........just had most of my

strawberry plants wrecked by blasted vine weevil attack in the soil too not
in pots

Rod 18-03-2004 01:22 PM

Strawberry question

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:26:00 +0000 (UTC), "nambucca"
wrote:

Be sure to check for vine weevil too ........just had most of my

strawberry plants wrecked by blasted vine weevil attack in the soil too not
in pots

Nemasys now works at soil temps as low as +5C so the suppliers tell me
- watch this space.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Tim Tyler 22-03-2004 11:05 AM

Strawberry question

Gary Poston wrote or quoted:

On digging my allotment today and general tidying up, I noticed that some of
my strawberry leaves have become old and brown, what I would like to know
is, Do I cut off all the old leaves so this would encourage new growth?

The old leaves can stop light from getting to the new ones -
and the molds, fungi and bacteria that attack them are probably
undesirable as well. Chopping them off can help a bit.
--