Old 17-03-2004, 12:50 PM
The Reid

Default Council closing allotments

I just heard my council as decided to close down most of its
allotments, including mine. Any comments on opposing this
welcome.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old 18-03-2004, 01:15 PM
jane

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:19:53 +0000, The Reid
wrote:

~I just heard my council as decided to close down most of its
~allotments, including mine. Any comments on opposing this
~welcome.

It would be helpful if you told us which council...

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/ are the people you need to contact ASAP.

I don't believe they *can* just close them - they have to provide
other sites of equivalent quality somewhere else.

Write to gardening magazines and Watchdog. Amateur Gardening in
particular have in this week's issue a review reminding readers of
their successful allotments campaign of a few years ago. Might be
worth dropping them a line.

good luck.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 18-03-2004, 01:15 PM
The Reid

Following up to jane

It would be helpful if you told us which council...

London Borough of Bexley

good luck.

thanks!
Old 18-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from The Reid contains these words:

I just heard my council as decided to close down most of its
allotments, including mine. Any comments on opposing this
welcome.

Are the allotments (in the main) being used? If they are, and not just
one or oases of order two dotted around in a straggling desert, I'd have
a google on 'ombudsman' and 'council' and see what turns up, then, when
you have found someone with some teeth, organise everybody to contact
said teeth.

Petitions are not heeded too much, but a different letter from each
holder to individual councillors and to the council in general would
carry a lot more weight.

Try to get the sympathy of as many councillors as possible, and not only
opposition ones, as they'll support you for their own reasons.

If you do get up a petition, the views of householders near the
allotments are the most important to canvas.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 18-03-2004, 01:19 PM
The Reid

Following up to Jaques d'Alltrades

I just heard my council as decided to close down most of its
allotments, including mine. Any comments on opposing this
welcome.

Are the allotments (in the main) being used?

that's the silly thing, recently lots of new people have taken
them up, we are now back up to nearly all the ones in the centre
being used, the rest would need tree clearance to reactivate. The
latest person to try and take one up has been refused.

If you do get up a petition, the views of householders near the
allotments are the most important to canvas.

We are deep in parkland, so no neighbours but one of the other
sites is rumoured to be earmarked to be used as a hostel for
mentally ill. Now what rumour can *I* start? :-)

Old 18-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Bob Hobden

"The Reid" wrote in message ...
I just heard my council as decided to close down most of its
allotments, including mine. Any comments on opposing this
welcome.

My understanding of the law relating to allotments is that if there are 6 or
more people in an area that want allotments the Council must provide them,
no argument!
If they are Statutory Allotments (your Council should tell you if you ask)
then you have some protection as your Council will have to apply to the
Regional DOE for Section 8 powers (change of use and transfer of control)
which means your Council have to prove there is no need for the allotments
and that they have been actively marketing them without response.
A letter of complaint from you all to the DOE would be a good start, and if
you know they have not complied with the active marketing, have allowed
sites to be vandalised because of broken fences, etc, then say so.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 18-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Ophelia

"The Reid" wrote in message
I just heard my council as decided to close down most of its
allotments, including mine. Any comments on opposing this
welcome.

Oh bugger Mike.. I am sorry

Good luck with it

Old 18-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from The Reid contains these words:

Now what rumour can *I* start? :-)

Complex for the treatment of sexual offenders? Holding area for failed
assylum-seekers? Power station burning poultry waste? I was going to
suggest that the council had been offered large sums of money by a
naturist organisation, but I have a feeling that might only line the
pockets of optical instrument makers.