GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Climbing rose for cold north wall. i (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/55985-re-climbing-rose-cold-north-wall-i.html)

Keith Dancey 18-03-2004 01:21 PM

Climbing rose for cold north wall. i

In article , "David W.E. Roberts" writes:

I had assumed that climbing roses would not do well on a North wall.

Do they also manage O.K. in tubs, or is this pushing my luck too far?

No. Climbing roses (and especially ramblers) are far too vigorous for a
tub and require a large root run.

However, you can plant roses in tubs: look for "patio roses", and amongst
these can be found dwarf climbers.

Make sure they have a good John Innes No 3 soil-based compost, and none of
that hopeless peat-based stuff.

I have a front concrete which is North facing.

That's OK. They are hard as nails, but sunshine is desirable.

Cheers,

keith

---
Iraq: 5 thousand million pounds, 60 lives, and counting...
The Politicians will now seek to blame the Spooks.