Old 18-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Alan Jones

Default Deterring a puppy

A friend often brings his 7-month terrier puppy to my home, and it loves to
run about in the garden. Unfortunately it also likes to "worry" and uproot
small plants, and I am concerned about what will happen in a few weeks' time
to the summer bedding.

Is there any harmless stuff I can put round or near the plants that it will
find unpleasant?

Alan Jones

Old 18-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Mike

"Alan Jones" wrote in message
A friend often brings his 7-month terrier puppy to my home, and it loves

run about in the garden. Unfortunately it also likes to "worry" and uproot
small plants, and I am concerned about what will happen in a few weeks'

time
to the summer bedding.

Is there any harmless stuff I can put round or near the plants that it

will
find unpleasant?

Alan Jones

Nothing. Train the dog, or more likely, train the owner. Guide Dogs for the
Blind place their Guide Dogs to be with 'Puppy Walkers' who train them from
6 weeks in the case of Labradors and 12 weeks in the case of Alsatians, what
to do and what not to do and were to do it.

Been there, done that, trained the Guide dogs as puppy walkers. Labradors
and Alsatians so don't tell me it cannot be done.

Mike

Old 18-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Mike

If you see what you perceive to be as an untrained dog on a lead. Look at
the other end of that lead and you will see an untrained owner.

Mike

Old 18-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Mike

Old 18-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Spider

Mike wrote in message
If you see what you perceive to be as an untrained dog on a lead. Look at
the other end of that lead and you will see an untrained owner.

Mike

Too true! Both dog and owner need training. It most certainly can be done
.... I train my cat (or cats) to behave better than most dogs (and some of
their owners!) I have seen. If you can't train the owner/your friend
(perhaps understandable), then ask that the dog be kept on a lead.
You have a well-tended garden; the least you can ask of your visiting friend
is that they have a well-tended dog.
You may decide to have Diplomacy .. or self-defence classes first!
Good luck .. sounds like you deserve it!
Spider

Old 18-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"Alan Jones" wrote in message
A friend often brings his 7-month terrier puppy to my home, and it loves

run about in the garden. Unfortunately it also likes to "worry" and

uproot
small plants, and I am concerned about what will happen in a few weeks'

time
to the summer bedding.

Is there any harmless stuff I can put round or near the plants that it

will
find unpleasant?

Alan Jones

Nothing. Train the dog, or more likely, train the owner. Guide Dogs for

the
Blind place their Guide Dogs to be with 'Puppy Walkers' who train them

from
6 weeks in the case of Labradors and 12 weeks in the case of Alsatians,

what
to do and what not to do and were to do it.

I'm so glad someone said that, it was my reaction but I'm not an expert.

I certainly wouldn't allow such a puppy into my garden.

Mary

Old 18-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Simon Avery

"Alan Jones" wrote:

Hello Alan

AJ A friend often brings his 7-month terrier puppy to my home,
AJ and it loves to run about in the garden. Unfortunately it
AJ also likes to "worry" and uproot small plants, and I am
AJ concerned about what will happen in a few weeks' time to the
AJ summer bedding.
AJ Is there any harmless stuff I can put round or near the
AJ plants that it will find unpleasant?

Not really. Best bet is to train the dog not to - let him run around
on a long piece of string and as soon as he starts, give him a sharp
tug back and loud "NO" should work after a few tries.

Old 18-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Mike

--
Not really. Best bet is to train the dog not to - let him run around
on a long piece of string and as soon as he starts, give him a sharp
tug back and loud "NO" should work after a few tries.

This is how it is done and if required a check chain is used, similar to a
choke chain, but put on in such a way that it goes slack as soon as it is
released, BUT, is it 'his' place to train the dog? I think not. It is up to
the owner to control and train the dog. If not done, what will that dog be
like later?

Mike

Old 18-03-2004, 01:27 PM
martin

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:26:47 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

--
Not really. Best bet is to train the dog not to - let him run around
on a long piece of string and as soon as he starts, give him a sharp
tug back and loud "NO" should work after a few tries.

This is how it is done and if required a check chain is used, similar to a
choke chain, but put on in such a way that it goes slack as soon as it is
released, BUT, is it 'his' place to train the dog? I think not. It is up to
the owner to control and train the dog. If not done, what will that dog be
like later?

What's wrong with your shot gun?
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad