Old 22-03-2004, 06:39 PM
W K

Default Lack of invertebrates / house sparrows (was Reed Buntings)

"D Russell" wrote in message

One thing I notice is not mentioned much is the vast numbers of small

birds
caught and killed on certain medeterranian islands, huge nets erected

during
migratory periods to harvest anything which flies.

Where do you notice this?

I've seen it mentioned quite a few times, and there are campaigns about
this.

Old 22-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

Hang food under a CD.

Troll. Look how many crossposts.....

Apart from your post, the whole thread has fallen into my spamtrap anyway.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 22-03-2004, 06:40 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:58:19 -0000, "D Russell"
wrote:

One thing I notice is not mentioned much is the vast numbers of small birds
caught and killed on certain medeterranian islands, huge nets erected during
migratory periods to harvest anything which flies.

There are fishermen who have done the same to fish and now see it as
an EU conspiracy that there are no fish left.

Great european state we
live in where this would be totally illegal in one country but is fine next
door.

There are countries where half ****ed wonders dress up in antique
clothes to shoot grouse and pheasants specially bred to be shot.

Old 22-03-2004, 06:40 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:10:13 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

Hang food under a CD.

Troll. Look how many crossposts.....

Apart from your post, the whole thread has fallen into my spamtrap anyway.

I didn't cross post.
Old 22-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Peter Duncanson

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:57:44 -0000, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Oz" wrote in message
ned writes
Yes, contrary to popular belief, Nature is not the pretty, pretty
civilised environment that some think it is. It is a harsh, cruel
place to survive in. Everything has its place in the predatory chain
and anything that dies of old age is mighty fortunate.
Hunger will very quickly transform an opportunistic feeder to seek out
an easy meal.

Local spars work gardens and feeders in particular on a regular basis.
The villagers are torn between having such an elegant bird and having
fewer small birds (up to collared doves+). They seem to be far more
effective than cats, not surprising really as flying away is no escape.

snip
Thats another factor, cats, though I dont know if there are more than there
used to be. And windows. There must be a lot more, and a lot larger windows
than say 50 years ago. Windows are responsible for huge numbers of bird
deaths every year. (that Bill Gates has a lot to be balmed for)

Ah - a typo.

Perhaps that should read "that Bill Gates has a lot to be embalmed for".

--
Peter Duncanson
UK

Old 22-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Colonel Bloomer

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:59:32 +0000 (UTC), "W K"
wrote:

"Colonel Bloomer" wrote in message
.. .

Shame the RSPB are not inclined to spend some of our millions and do
some serious research into this decline

They do.

Really! where?

Old 22-03-2004, 06:41 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:49:06 +0000, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

Thats another factor, cats, though I dont know if there are more than there
used to be. And windows. There must be a lot more, and a lot larger windows
than say 50 years ago. Windows are responsible for huge numbers of bird
deaths every year. (that Bill Gates has a lot to be balmed for)

Ah - a typo.

Perhaps that should read "that Bill Gates has a lot to be embalmed for".

The Pharaohs used to embalm cats. Perhaps Bill Gates is suffering from
delusions again?

Bunch of Buntings jOhN Texas 9 29-04-2009 12:13 PM
Indigo Buntings Lynne in NC North Carolina 3 06-05-2004 06:07 PM
Random Invertebrates in Tank? Jay Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Random Invertebrates in Tank? Jay Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 13-03-2003 05:56 PM
Sparrows Devouring Lettuce Plants! Fleemo Gardening 21 01-03-2003 06:03 PM