Old 22-03-2004, 07:39 PM
D Russell

Default Birdsong?

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
"John" wrote in message
In a Garden Centre in Ivybridge, Devon, one is greeted with 'piped'
bird song. Although it's only a recording, it is very effective.

They have it in Huntingdon GC too. I prefer the real thing but
it's better than nothing.

The reason I mention it is that the gardens around my home have
- during the past half a dozen years - become sterile of birds.

I'll not go into the reason for obvious reasons, but it occurs to me
that a poor second choice to true bird song, would be the mentioned
disced copy.

Does anyone know of a disc of British bird song? Not one
of those with musical background - or dreadful shrieking choir -
but genuine, honest to goodness birds singing their hearts out.

IIRC, the RSPB web site has some for sale.
--
Nick Wagg

There was a chap in London on one garden show, his whole roof was his garden
and he'd installed small speakers all over the place to pipe through bird
song. So I guess these things exists, just offering up a small glimmer of
hope.
Duncan

Old 22-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Nick Wagg" contains these words:

Does anyone know of a disc of British bird song? Not one
of those with musical background - or dreadful shrieking choir -
but genuine, honest to goodness birds singing their hearts out.

IIRC, the RSPB web site has some for sale.

I have one recorded by Ludwig Koch, but it's not for sale.

And it is unlikely to be in the current releases. You could google for
one though.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-03-2004, 07:39 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:12:20 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "Nick Wagg" contains these words:

Does anyone know of a disc of British bird song? Not one
of those with musical background - or dreadful shrieking choir -
but genuine, honest to goodness birds singing their hearts out.

IIRC, the RSPB web site has some for sale.

I have one recorded by Ludwig Koch, but it's not for sale.

For sound samples try here
http://www.bl.uk/collections/sound-archive/wildex.html

Despite having two cats, we have the real thing in our garden, perhaps
because we don't have Franz's music blaring over the wall :-)

Incidentally, I noticed that there were no sparrows here, at least a
year before I saw reports about their absence in the UK. They didn't
slowly decline, one year there were lots and the next they had all
gone. We have a sparrow that feeds in our garden at the moment, their
place has been taken by finches and tits.

And it is unlikely to be in the current releases. You could google for
one though.

What about Percy wotshis names bird imitations?

Long ago I went to a small village beer festival in Bavaria, in the
gents was an obese Bavarian in lederhosen standing in a stall doing
really good bird imitations, I reported this to the friends I was
with. One went to see for himself, he reported that the Bavarian was
still there but was doing good steam engine imitations. About half an
hour later, the Bavarian emerged from the bogs and climbed onto the
stage, where he did a performance of bird and steam engine imitations.
Old 22-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:06:08 +0100, martin wrote:

... the Bavarian emerged from the bogs and climbed onto the
stage, where he did a performance of bird and steam engine imitations.

You see, that's what happens to you after a lifetime of wine, women and
amateur dramatics. ;-)

Old 22-03-2004, 07:41 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:03:10 GMT, Tim Challenger
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:06:08 +0100, martin wrote:

... the Bavarian emerged from the bogs and climbed onto the
stage, where he did a performance of bird and steam engine imitations.

You see, that's what happens to you after a lifetime of wine, women and
amateur dramatics. ;-)

LOL
It beats Gilbert and Sullivan and Gilbert O'Sullivan too, if it comes
to that.

I didn't mention it, but we were convinced he had a problem with his
bladder :-)

Old 22-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:06:08 +0100, martin wrote:

... the Bavarian emerged from the bogs and climbed onto the
stage, where he did a performance of bird and steam engine imitations.

You see, that's what happens to you after a lifetime of wine, women and
amateur dramatics. ;-)

More Birdsong - for urglers in Bristol FF United Kingdom 0 16-04-2004 01:05 AM
Birdsong David Hill United Kingdom 1 15-04-2004 09:42 PM
Birdsong answers... John United Kingdom 0 22-03-2004 09:16 PM
Birdsong answers... John United Kingdom 0 22-03-2004 09:12 PM
birdsong Sid United Kingdom 14 14-04-2003 12:44 PM