GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Last years onions & garlic (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/56353-last-years-onions-garlic.html)

Pip 21-03-2004 10:40 PM

Last years onions & garlic

I planted some onion sets last year. After going away on holiday for two
weeks in summer, they had completely dried up, the green leaves were yellow
and dried out so I just left them in the ground. They are now coming back
to life. The size of the onions themselves now are a little bigger than the
sets I planted last year.

Should I keep them in the ground to develop or is it best to dig them up and
start a fresh? They don't seem diseased at all.

The same applies to the garlic I planted last year, though I have heard that
you can keep garlic in the ground year after year - is this right?

Many thanks for your replies.
regards
Pippa