Old 24-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Janet Tweedy

Default hose in hose?

In article , jane
writes

OK have found the RHS Garden article on hose-in-hose I remembered (March
2003 p172)

Yes thanks Jane, I have the copy, I needed to source different ones if I
could. Never mind, I shall continue my search
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:54:35 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes

Wanda is neither a h-i-h nor a j-i-t-g,

Well in the RHS Garden magazine they have Wanda listed as a hose in hose
winning a prize etc ! Perhaps they meant something else?

After checking my stash of primula books, I can report back that
there is such a thing as "Wanda hose", a hose-in-hose version of
Wanda. Whether it is a sport of Wanda or a seedling or a cousin
is not stated.

That it is distinguished from Wanda proper implies that W.p. is
not hose-in-hose -- in agreement with the vast sheets of Wanda
that ornament local gardens at this time of year.

The latest Plantfinder in my possession, 1998-99, lists, in
addition to Wanda proper, both 'Wanda Hose in Hose' and 'Wanda
Jack in the Green' which in a way confirms that these are
distinct from Wanda proper.

I rather wonder if 'Wanda Jack in the Green' is the cultivar
known here as 'Julie Jack', as the latter is very similar to
Wanda, though redder in color.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada