Old 24-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Dogger

Default Mantis Cultivator Tiller

My allotment hasn't been used for about five years. I dug it over last
year and it was like digging over the Gatwick runway.

I was thinking of getting one of those mantis cultivatiors. Any one
got a view on them?

Old 24-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Mervyn Thomas

I've had one for a year and its very usefull for "culltivating" already dug
soil. Goes right in the boot and very transportable. Never had a problem
starting! Well recommended as a tool not a digger!

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:16:07 +0000, Dogger wrote:

My allotment hasn't been used for about five years. I dug it over last
year and it was like digging over the Gatwick runway.

I was thinking of getting one of those mantis cultivatiors. Any one
got a view on them?

I had one years ago. It did a *good* job of cultivating fairly hard
soil, 'though I didn't try it on tarmac. :-) It was very sturdy and
uuintimidated by rocks of up to 3" diameter. It was a perfect *bear*
to start, although some methods and incantations were recently posted
on rec.gardens. One advantage was its portability -- it was small and
light enough to throw in the back of my car. Its path isn't wide --
8-10", so most suitable for tilling small areas. I've never heard of
anyone getting rid of a Mantis because it broke down. Mostly it's
frustration with the starting and need for a larger machine.

Old 24-03-2004, 06:48 PM
shazzbat

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Dogger" wrote in message
My allotment hasn't been used for about five years. I dug it over last
year and it was like digging over the Gatwick runway.

I was thinking of getting one of those mantis cultivatiors. Any one
got a view on them?

I'm still getting their sales leaflets after entering the comp. to win one

couple of years ago in one of the gardening mags. Those comps.IMHO are

just
a trawl for increasing junkmail databases.

Steve

And we got garden news today, and guess what? there's an opportunity to win
one. Why not enter, see what happens........

Steve.
Again.

Old 24-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Andy H

Lightweight, I prefer a more powerful machine, my Merry Tiller does a far
better job & much faster

Old 24-03-2004, 06:49 PM
James Fidell

In article , Dogger wrote:

My allotment hasn't been used for about five years. I dug it over last
year and it was like digging over the Gatwick runway.

I was thinking of getting one of those mantis cultivatiors. Any one
got a view on them?

I know a couple of people who have one and think they're great, but
their ground is already fairly well cultivated. The veggie garden
I'm working on at the moment on the other hand, which has been pretty
much ignored for perhaps as much as ten years, was almost completely
untouched by quite a heavy duty rotorvator, so the mantis would
certainly have been pointless.

James