GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mandevilla (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/56717-mandevilla.html)

24-03-2004 05:49 PM

Mandevilla

I would appreciate advice on how to grow Mandevilla as a pot plant in a
Conservatory, especially on how often it should be watered.
Tom Atkinson

Charlie Pridham 24-03-2004 05:51 PM

Mandevilla

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
23/3/04 8:38

I would appreciate advice on how to grow Mandevilla as a pot plant in a
Conservatory, especially on how often it should be watered.
Tom Atkinson

Watering is the tricky part, as it is with so many pot grown exotics.

Don't
saturate it but don't let it dry out entirely, is my husband's advice. He
says "look at it every day" and keep it frost free. He also says that if
you CAN put it into a bed in your conservatory, it will be better for both
of you!
--
Sacha

To the above I would only add, that if its 'Alice du Pont' good air flow in
winter is needed as it gets botrytis easily in low light levels.
They are worth the effort :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha 24-03-2004 05:51 PM

Mandevilla

23/3/04 8:38

I would appreciate advice on how to grow Mandevilla as a pot plant in a
Conservatory, especially on how often it should be watered.
Tom Atkinson

Watering is the tricky part, as it is with so many pot grown exotics. Don't
saturate it but don't let it dry out entirely, is my husband's advice. He
says "look at it every day" and keep it frost free. He also says that if
you CAN put it into a bed in your conservatory, it will be better for both
of you!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Sacha 24-03-2004 05:52 PM

Mandevilla

Charlie Pridham24/3/04 9:19

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
23/3/04 8:38

I would appreciate advice on how to grow Mandevilla as a pot plant in a
Conservatory, especially on how often it should be watered.
Tom Atkinson

Watering is the tricky part, as it is with so many pot grown exotics.

Don't
saturate it but don't let it dry out entirely, is my husband's advice. He
says "look at it every day" and keep it frost free. He also says that if
you CAN put it into a bed in your conservatory, it will be better for both
of you!
--
Sacha

To the above I would only add, that if its 'Alice du Pont' good air flow in
winter is needed as it gets botrytis easily in low light levels.
They are worth the effort :~)

They are indeed. My fil had one growing outside on a granite wall in a
walled part of his Jersey garden and I never ceased to marvel at it. It was
huge and dripped with flowers in summer. But one unusually hard frost
later.... ;-( He never tried it again outside - I think he just couldn't
bear to risk losing another.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Rod 24-03-2004 06:45 PM

Mandevilla

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:38:47 -0000, wrote:

I would appreciate advice on how to grow Mandevilla as a pot plant in a
Conservatory, especially on how often it should be watered.
Tom Atkinson

Just hope it's a big conservatory :-) Sacha has already said plant it
in a border if you can, I concur with that. Been I while since I grew
one but IIRC they will tolerate quite hard pruning if they outgrow
their space.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Sacha 24-03-2004 08:38 PM

Mandevilla

Rod24/3/04 6:28
om

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:38:47 -0000, wrote:

I would appreciate advice on how to grow Mandevilla as a pot plant in a
Conservatory, especially on how often it should be watered.
Tom Atkinson

Just hope it's a big conservatory :-) Sacha has already said plant it
in a border if you can, I concur with that. Been I while since I grew
one but IIRC they will tolerate quite hard pruning if they outgrow
their space.

Well, it was Ray using my typing fingers who said etc. etc. ;-))
But now I come to think of it, the one my fil had on the granite wall
outdoors in Jersey was quite a bossy sort of a thing! It doesn't come into
the category of 'house plant', that's for sure, so hard pruning might be
essential if it does well and thrives.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

David Hill 24-03-2004 09:43 PM

Mandevilla

Sacha, a couple of times you have used the term "My fil" as here

" the one my fil had on the granite wall outdoors in Jersey was quite a
bossy sort of a thing"

Would I be right in assuming that this is a Jersey term for "Grandmother" ?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Sacha 24-03-2004 10:08 PM

Mandevilla

David Hill24/3/04 9:35

Sacha, a couple of times you have used the term "My fil" as here

" the one my fil had on the granite wall outdoors in Jersey was quite a
bossy sort of a thing"

Would I be right in assuming that this is a Jersey term for "Grandmother" ?

Mais non, mon vieux. Ecoute et je t'expliquerai quelque chose. ;-)
I thought that FIL was quite widely known or I wouldn't have used it. My
sincere apologies.
FIL is 'father in law' - more intertnet shorthand. Sorry to have muddied the
waters!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Sacha 24-03-2004 10:21 PM

Mandevilla

David Hill24/3/04 9:35

Sacha, a couple of times you have used the term "My fil" as here

" the one my fil had on the granite wall outdoors in Jersey was quite a
bossy sort of a thing"

Would I be right in assuming that this is a Jersey term for "Grandmother" ?

Mais non, mon vieux. Ecoute et je t'expliquerai quelque chose. ;-)
I thought that FIL was quite widely known or I wouldn't have used it. My
sincere apologies.
FIL is 'father in law' - more intertnet shorthand. Sorry to have muddied the
waters!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

25-03-2004 06:23 PM

Mandevilla

Thanks for all the answers to my original enquiry.
Don't think I can dig up the conservatory floor (Chinese Slate) to
acccomodate the Mandevilla. Lady of the house
might object.
Tom Atkinson

--
"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Rod24/3/04 6:28

om

Janet Baraclough.. 25-03-2004 08:19 PM

Mandevilla

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

FIL is 'father in law' - more intertnet shorthand. Sorry to have muddied the
waters!

Might as well tell him the whole set...M(other)IL, S(ister)IL, B(rother)IL.
One's partner, squeeze or whatever is known as SO, Significant Other.
For women, your SO might be AKA (also known as) your DH, Darling
Husband, unless the SO of the DH is American, in which case DH is
probably a Darling Hubby.

HTH

Janet