Old 27-03-2004, 08:18 PM
hugh

Default POISONING CATS?

In message , Dcjtee
writes
Alternatively you could stay off the caffeine and put some of your
energy into solving some of the real problems in the world.

Caffeine???? Never touch it another deadly poison.

I'd call cat shit being walked all over the place a REAL problem.

You're just a stupid ****.

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

--
hugh
Old 27-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin wrote:
On 26 Mar 2004 17:26:55 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
martin wrote:

Several people a year catch malaria in the vicinity of European
International airports. Forget statistics and look at reality.

Aw, gee. A risk of about 0.0001% per annum, or a lifetime risk
of less than 0.001%, assuming that you live close to a major
international airport.

and your source is?

Well, you, for one. Do the arithmetic, assuming that you are up to
it. Please ask for help, if not.

You youngsters are just wimps.

which youngsters?

You seem a prime example.

Where and when I was born, there
was something like a 30% per annum chance of catching malaria.

In UK? Rubbish, unless you are several hundred years old.

No, my dear boy, no.

In the Netherlands where malaria was still endemic until the 1950s
Around 50 people died of malaria a year, far more died of polio.

Think on that. 50 deaths a year in a country of quite a few millions.
Not what a rational person would call a serious health risk.

Worry about something real, like tripping over your own feet,
falling down stairs and breaking your neck.

Like Mary said there is more to worry about traveling by car.

You're learning. Malaria is not a serious health risk in northern
Europe, and hasn't been for a very long time, and that includes
people living close to airports. Trevelling on the roads is, and
so is using stairs - look at the figures!

Oh, and by the way, most forms of malaria are not forever; the
recurrent form is relatively uncommon.

Both forms are relatively uncommon in UK.

Then why did you say that it was a serious health risk? The mind
boggles.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Mike

Then why did you say that it was a serious health risk? The mind
boggles.

NO, NO, NO, it's cats which are a health risk.

Old 27-03-2004, 08:19 PM
martin

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:38:42 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

Did you know?
Quinine was called the Jesuit bark by the protestants in Cromwell's day and
thus was not allowed in England.
With the result that when Oliver Cromwell caught malaria there was no
effective treatment and he died of it.

no I didn't but this was probably called "a good thing".

Do you know that the remains of Oliver Cromwell's body is in a leather
coffin in an attic in North Yorkshire and his head in Cambridge.

http://www.elyrics.net/go/m/Monty_Py...iver_Cromwell/
Old 27-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Mary Fisher

"David Hill" wrote in message
Did you know?
Quinine was called the Jesuit bark by the protestants in Cromwell's day

and
thus was not allowed in England.
With the result that when Oliver Cromwell caught malaria there was no
effective treatment and he died of it.

I didn't know that. Did he really die of malaria?

Thanks for that nugget.

Mary

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-03-2004, 08:19 PM
martin

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:04:57 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
Did you know?
Quinine was called the Jesuit bark by the protestants in Cromwell's day

and
thus was not allowed in England.
With the result that when Oliver Cromwell caught malaria there was no
effective treatment and he died of it.

I didn't know that. Did he really die of malaria?

but it wasn't serious :-)

His body is in an attic in Newburgh Priory.
Old 27-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"David Hill" wrote in message
Did you know?
Quinine was called the Jesuit bark by the protestants in Cromwell's day

and
thus was not allowed in England.
With the result that when Oliver Cromwell caught malaria there was no
effective treatment and he died of it.

I didn't know that. Did he really die of malaria?

Thanks for that nugget.

Mary

I found:

http://www.olivercromwell.org/faqs8.htm

Which is fascinating - the whole site is worth reading! But I haven't found
any reference to quinine yet ...

Mary

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-03-2004, 08:19 PM
martin

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 18:13:50 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"David Hill" wrote in message
Did you know?
Quinine was called the Jesuit bark by the protestants in Cromwell's day

and
thus was not allowed in England.
With the result that when Oliver Cromwell caught malaria there was no
effective treatment and he died of it.

I didn't know that. Did he really die of malaria?

Thanks for that nugget.

Mary

I found:

http://www.olivercromwell.org/faqs8.htm

Which is fascinating - the whole site is worth reading! But I haven't found
any reference to quinine yet ...

Try googling Oliver Cromwell Quinine
First hit is

http://www.historymole.com/cgi-bin/m...=BritCharlesII

" 3 Sep 1658 Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the New
Commonwealth, ruler over England's parliament, dies from malaria. He
is suceeded by his son Richard Cromwell as Lord Protector. When Oliver
Cromwell was dying, he refused to take the only known treatment
(quinine from cinchona) because it was introduced by Jesuits. "

Second hit is
http://www.countrybookshop.co.uk/boo...for=0006532357

"Synopsis
A rich and wonderful history of quinine -- the cure for malaria. In
the summer of 1623, ten cardinals and hundreds of their attendants,
engaged in electing a new Pope, died from the 'mal'aria' or 'bad air'
of the Roman marshes. Their choice, Pope Urban VIII, determined that a
cure should be found for the fever that was the scourge of the
Mediterranean, northern Europe and America, and in 1631 a young Jesuit
apothecarist in Peru sent to the Old World a cure that had been found
in the New -- where the disease was unknown. The cure was quinine, an
alkaloid made of the bitter red bark of the cinchona tree, which grows
in the Andes. Both disease and cure have an extraordinary history.
Malaria badly weakened the Roman Empire. It killed thousands of
British troops fighting Napoleon during the Walcheren raid on Holland
in 1809 and many soldiers on both sides of the American Civil War. It
turned back many of the travellers who explored west Africa and
brought the building of the Panama Canal to a standstill. When, after
a thousand years, a cure was finally found, Europe's Protestants,
among them Oliver Cromwell, who suffered badly from malaria, feared it
was nothing more than a Popish poison. More than any previous
medicine, though, quinine forced physicians to change their ideas
about treating illness. Before long, it would change the face of
Western medicine. Using fresh research from the Vatican and the Indian
Archives in Seville, as well as hitherto undiscovered documents in
Peru, Fiammetta Rocco describes the ravages of the disease, the quest
of the three Englishmen who smuggled cinchona seeds out of South
America, the way quinine opened the door to Western imperial adventure
in Asia, Africa and beyond, and why, even today, quinine grown in the
eastern Congo still saves so many people suffering from malaria."

Old 27-03-2004, 08:19 PM
hugh

In message , martin
writes
On 26 Mar 2004 11:59:22 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

http://www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk/6...th/PDF/hcs-pes
|t-fsh-cockroaches.PDF
|
| http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/Busines...ockroaches.pdf
|
| and if you don't think much of the UK links, try the WHO:
| http://www.who.int/docstore/water_sa...ntrol/ch31.htm

The fact that they are a serious health risk in the tropics is
not necessarily evidence that they are in the UK.

The H&SE think they are. Restaurants with resident cockroaches are
closed down.

Mosquitoes are
there and not here.

and unless you live near a major international airport.

There are mosquitos in the UK, but fortunately we do not have parasite
which carries malaria.
--
hugh
Old 27-03-2004, 08:19 PM
hugh

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
martin writes:
| |
| | The fact that they are a serious health risk in the tropics is
| | not necessarily evidence that they are in the UK.
| |
| | Mosquitoes are there and not here.
| |
| | and unless you live near a major international airport.
|
| Even then, only for some ridiculous meaning of the word "serious".
|
| Catching malaria is serious for the person involved, but not you
| sitting on your bum in a college somewhere :-)

I suggest that you read the above a little more carefully. They
are not a serious health risk in the UK, because the chance of
them transmitting malaria EVEN near Heathrow is miniscule. The
aircraft flying overhead are more of a health risk, as you will
discover if you look up the statistics.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Don't look up in Hounslow - or you will get kerosene in your eye!!
--
hugh
Old 27-03-2004, 08:19 PM
hugh

In message , Dcjtee
writes
Alternatively you could stay off the caffeine and put some of your
energy into solving some of the real problems in the world.

Caffeine???? Never touch it another deadly poison.

I'd call cat shit being walked all over the place a REAL problem.

You're just a stupid ****.

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

Nice to see the intelligentsia are still alive and well on this
newsgroup.
--
hugh
Old 27-03-2004, 08:19 PM
hugh

In message , Dcjtee
writes
Alternatively you could stay off the caffeine and put some of your
energy into solving some of the real problems in the world.

Caffeine???? Never touch it another deadly poison.

I'd call cat shit being walked all over the place a REAL problem.

You're just a stupid ****.

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

--
hugh

Poisoning snails - poisoning birds? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 31 10-04-2004 06:04 PM
POISONING CATS? Dcjtee United Kingdom 8 24-03-2004 05:55 PM
POISONING CATS? Dcjtee United Kingdom 32 24-03-2004 05:48 PM
POISONING CATS? Dcjtee United Kingdom 0 24-03-2004 05:37 PM
Is Monsanto Poisoning Consumers with Pesticide Residues Just another fan Gardening 0 27-08-2003 01:02 AM