Old 29-03-2004, 09:02 AM
p.mc

Default How do I attract butterflies

Cover yourself in jam :-))

My apologies, I just couldn't resist it.

"Craig" wrote in message
om...
I am a novice gardener with only a small back yard and small flower
bed at my disposal. I have heard in the media that butterflies are
under threat in the UK. I would be grateful of advice as to which
plants I should grow to help sustain our butterfly population.

Thanks

Bob

Old 29-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Rhiannon S

Subject: How do I attract butterflies
From: Jaques d'Alltrades
Date: 29/03/2004 01:53 GMT Daylight Time
The message
from
lid (Rodger Whitlock) contains these words:

After all, cabbage whites are
butterflies yet are hardly threatened!

They are when they come into my garden!

Are they disguised as cats?
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/

Old 29-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "p.mc"
p.mc@Idon'tknowwhyIbothermungingmyaddress'causeIs tillgettonsofshiteanyway.co.uk contains these words:
"Craig" wrote in message
om...
I am a novice gardener with only a small back yard and small flower
bed at my disposal. I have heard in the media that butterflies are
under threat in the UK. I would be grateful of advice as to which
plants I should grow to help sustain our butterfly population.

rearranged for sensible continuity

Cover yourself in jam :-))

My apologies, I just couldn't resist it.

Can your S.O. though?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Tumbleweed
writes

I'd say they probably are threatened, certainly as a kid I used to see lots,
very rare these days, I see more tortoiseshells and those brown one's whose
name I forget.

Probably Speckled Woods - food plant is Garlic Mustard, which occupies
the base of the hedgerows round here.

I still find Whites (both Large and Small) fairly common. The other
common butterflies are Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks. (Peacocks used
to be rare when I was a kid.) Painted Ladies seem to be getting
commoner.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 30-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Tumbleweed

In article , Tumbleweed
writes

I'd say they probably are threatened, certainly as a kid I used to see

lots,
very rare these days, I see more tortoiseshells and those brown one's

whose
name I forget.

Probably Speckled Woods -

Yes, thats them.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 30-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:09:32 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:

I hesitate to suggest growing some nettles in a pot, as

you would need
to prevent them seeding.

IIRC, nettles are dioecious. That is, individual plants

bear
either male or female flowers exclusively. It should be

easy to
select a male plant from the nearest wild patch thereby

obviating
any risk of seeding.

Useless information in my case, since the whole back yard of
one of my neighbours consists almost exclusively of nettles.
{:-((

Franz