Old 28-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Craig

Default How do I attract butterflies

I am a novice gardener with only a small back yard and small flower
bed at my disposal. I have heard in the media that butterflies are
under threat in the UK. I would be grateful of advice as to which
plants I should grow to help sustain our butterfly population.

Thanks

Bob
Old 28-03-2004, 01:46 PM
Emrys Davies

http://www.nwf.org/backyardwildlifeh...utterflies.cfm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

om...

Old 28-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Rhiannon S

Subject: How do I attract butterflies
From: (Craig)
Date: 28/03/2004 11:30 GMT Daylight Time
I am a novice gardener with only a small back yard and small flower
bed at my disposal. I have heard in the media that butterflies are
under threat in the UK. I would be grateful of advice as to which
plants I should grow to help sustain our butterfly population.

Try this:
http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/gg40.htm

A general rule of thumb though, is anything with bright flowers and strong
scent will attract all sorts of wildlife, not just butterflies
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Old 28-03-2004, 06:05 PM
JennyC

"Craig" wrote in message
om...
I am a novice gardener with only a small back yard and small flower
bed at my disposal. I have heard in the media that butterflies are
under threat in the UK. I would be grateful of advice as to which
plants I should grow to help sustain our butterfly population.

Thanks
Bob

Two certain butterfly favourites are buddleia and sedums.

Both are extremely easy to grow.
Jenny

Old 28-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from emon (Rhiannon S) contains these words:
From:
(Craig)
Date: 28/03/2004 11:30 GMT Daylight Time
I am a novice gardener with only a small back yard and small flower
bed at my disposal. I have heard in the media that butterflies are
under threat in the UK. I would be grateful of advice as to which
plants I should grow to help sustain our butterfly population.

Try this:
http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/gg40.htm

A general rule of thumb though, is anything with bright flowers and strong
scent will attract all sorts of wildlife, not just butterflies

If you have room for a medium sized shrub, Buddlia flowers for quite an
extended period and is very good at attracting butterflies.

I hesitate to suggest growing some nettles in a pot, as you would need
to prevent them seeding. Violets are necessary for fritillaries - some
in the open and if you have any bushes or shrubs, some beneath them
might attract two separate fritillary species.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 28-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Larry Stoter

Craig wrote:

I am a novice gardener with only a small back yard and small flower
bed at my disposal. I have heard in the media that butterflies are
under threat in the UK. I would be grateful of advice as to which
plants I should grow to help sustain our butterfly population.

Thanks

Bob

You need to distiguish plants for food and plants for breeding - which
are different for many species.

Many species are also very sedentary and have complex habitat
requirements for food and breeding. So, supporting organisations which
are attempting to preserve the habitats is very important.

You can, however, expect to see a number of species in almost any garden
by putting in a few flowers. As has been mentioned, buddlia and sedum
are good food plants, as is hemp agrimony, a British native which likes
damp patches. You need to be careful because I have noticed that some
commerical varieties loose their attraction for butterflies, so I'd
suggest finding a friend or neighbour with plants which are clearly
attractive to butterflies and then collect cutting or seeds.

The Holly Blue butterfly lays eggs on ivy (the standard, dark green,
'native' variety) so if you put that against a wall, you could attract
them.

--
Larry Stoter
Old 28-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Craig" wrote in message
om...
I am a novice gardener with only a small back yard and

small flower
bed at my disposal. I have heard in the media that

butterflies are
under threat in the UK. I would be grateful of advice as

to which
plants I should grow to help sustain our butterfly

population.

Among the smallish herbaceous plants, you will find that
Sedum spectabile is a favourite with butterflies.

Franz

Old 28-03-2004, 10:05 PM
martin

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:50:56 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"Craig" wrote in message
. com...
I am a novice gardener with only a small back yard and small flower
bed at my disposal. I have heard in the media that butterflies are
under threat in the UK. I would be grateful of advice as to which
plants I should grow to help sustain our butterfly population.

Thanks
Bob

Two certain butterfly favourites are buddleia and sedums.

Both are extremely easy to grow.
Jenny

another is nettles, even easier to grow :-(((

Old 28-03-2004, 10:06 PM
David Hill

Budleija is fine but has a short flowering season and will take over the
garden.
I have found the last 2 or 3 years that Single dahlias(Not those with full
closed flowers) are very good feed plants for bees, hover flies and
Butterflies. and can last in flower from July till the frost cuts them down,
also Helichrisum (Everlasting flower) is another good long lasting feed
plant that doesn't take up to much space (You could plant clumps of 8 or 9
plants in different parts of your garden).

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 28 Mar 2004 02:30:10 -0800, Craig wrote:

I am a novice gardener with only a small back yard and small flower
bed at my disposal. I have heard in the media that butterflies are
under threat in the UK. I would be grateful of advice as to which
plants I should grow to help sustain our butterfly population.

I suggest you find out which species are seriously threatened and
known to still occur near you; then plant whatever it is they
feed on. It seems to me that it is more useful to specifically
encourage the species most at risk. After all, cabbage whites are
butterflies yet are hardly threatened!

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 28-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:09:32 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I hesitate to suggest growing some nettles in a pot, as you would need
to prevent them seeding.

IIRC, nettles are dioecious. That is, individual plants bear
either male or female flowers exclusively. It should be easy to
select a male plant from the nearest wild patch thereby obviating
any risk of seeding.