Old 29-03-2004, 06:07 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Flavour and tomatoes

The message
from "Sue da Nimm" . contains these words:

You had a James Captain? My first bike was a James Commando (in 1968,
although it was far from new) Much later I used to enjoy confusing people

by
telling them my first bike was a commando :-))
Steve

I had a James Commodore, then a Triumph Cub, then a pre-unit Bonnie ... and
then a husband who didn't approve

Should have traded him in for a new one.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 29-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Mary Fisher

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I ordered seven varieties noted for flavour from Chase (HDRA), they

arrived
some time later than my visa was debited and I sowed them the same day

in
exactly the same way as I always do, in the greenhouse.

That was two weeks ago. The lettuce, cabbage and sprouts have germinated

but
not the tomatoes. I'm even more disgruntled now, the seeds were

expensive
and there weren't many.

Unless your greenhouse is very well heated, you'll wait at least another
week, maybe a fortnight - unless we get a spell of really sunny weather.

Grrrrrrrrr

Don't be impatient. I would have planted them inside in trays or
individual pots.

They were sown - not planted! - in individual pots in the thermostatically
contolled heated greenhouse in exactly the same way I have always done. I
have never known tomato seeds to take so long to germinate.

Mary

Old 29-03-2004, 01:05 PM
J Jackson

Nick Maclaren wrote:
: I would like to get hold of some tomato seeds that will produce
: deliciously flavoured tomatoes.
:
: I know that these seeds exist but are not sold at regular suppliers
: because of registration fees and such like.
:
: But I have no clue about where to start looking.

: There are a fair number of flavoursome varieties sold by normal seed
: merchants - do a Web search for Tucker's, Thompson and Morgan, and
: look out for Unwins and so on. You can get the unusual varieties
: from Henry Doubleday, but you have to join the association (not a
: major problem!)

: However, only about a third of the flavour is due to the variety.
: Another third is not watering as much as commercial growers do,
: and the last third is maximising the amount of sunlight. Not a
: lot that you can do about the last in the UK :-(

And the 4th third (:-) is flavour preference - some like sweet tomatoes,
some like less sweet. What some would describe as wonderfully flavourfull
others would describe as poor! So try a few. My regular favorite
outdoor uk tomato is Red Alert, a bush type.

Old 29-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Howard

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

Howard
R100RT

BSA Dandy (forced on me); G3 Matchless, several Matchless and AJS 500
singles; AJS 500 twin; 1938 & 1939 Velocettes, both MSS; 1929 KTT Velo';
1929 B29 (2¾HP) Douglas; D1 Bantam; ZB31 BSA; 1938 990cc V-twin sv AJS;
Douglas T35 Mk1; T35 Mk1 Trials; T35 Mk3; T35 Mk3 Sports; T35 Mk4; T35
Mk4 Sports; T35 Mk5; Plus Ninety; Dragonfly; 998cc Vincent Black B******
(all Lightning bits); Velocette Clubman's Venom; Triumph Trophy; now got
BMW R80.

There may have been more, but - oh yes, two Arial Red Hunters and a TSX.....

Strewth, now there's a history!

--
Howard
R100RT
Old 29-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Howard contains these words:

Strewth, now there's a history!

And when I get a round tuit I'm building a vintage-ish bitza out of
vintage-ish bitz.

Old 29-03-2004, 04:13 PM
shazzbat

"Howard" wrote in message
David Hyams wrote:

Cheery tomatoes are always the best for flavour although not big enough

for
sandwiches.

Cherry tomatoes, on the other hand, are great in quick pastas.

Now I was just enjoying the mental image of cheery tomatoes. :-))

Steve

Old 29-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Howard

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

The message
from Howard contains these words:

Strewth, now there's a history!

And when I get a round tuit I'm building a vintage-ish bitza out of
vintage-ish bitz.

Would an A10 cylinderhead gasket be any good to you?