GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   lelandii, any good for compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/57227-lelandii-any-good-compost.html)

Loraine 29-03-2004 06:38 PM

lelandii, any good for compost

Hello.
Have question regarding the use of Lelandii as a compost. Noting that
usually not much grows under a lelandii tree or two does it make useful
compost and if so what is the compost best suited to?

Can shred it first to speed the process.

Loraine

Jaques d'Alltrades 29-03-2004 09:07 PM

lelandii, any good for compost

The message
o.uk.freeserve.co.uk
from (Loraine) contains these words:

Have question regarding the use of Lelandii as a compost. Noting that
usually not much grows under a lelandii tree or two does it make useful
compost and if so what is the compost best suited to?

Can shred it first to speed the process.

It will make your compost slightly acid, but yes, it composts well.
Nothing much grows under Leylandii because it's dark and dry, not
because of the compost there.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Tumbleweed 29-03-2004 10:34 PM

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
o.uk.freeserve.co.uk
from (Loraine) contains these words:

Have question regarding the use of Lelandii as a compost. Noting that
usually not much grows under a lelandii tree or two does it make useful
compost and if so what is the compost best suited to?

Can shred it first to speed the process.

It will make your compost slightly acid, but yes, it composts well.
Nothing much grows under Leylandii because it's dark and dry, not
because of the compost there.

Really? The branches / leaves I've cut off and missed seem to remain
untouched for months, they dont rot at all.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Jaques d'Alltrades 30-03-2004 05:37 AM

lelandii, any good for compost

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

It will make your compost slightly acid, but yes, it composts well.
Nothing much grows under Leylandii because it's dark and dry, not
because of the compost there.

Really? The branches / leaves I've cut off and missed seem to remain
untouched for months, they dont rot at all.

but not on a compost heap, mixed in with other stuff, and leaked on
regularly, I'll warrant.

Janet Baraclough.. 30-03-2004 11:33 AM

lelandii, any good for compost

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
o.uk.freeserve.co.uk
from (Loraine) contains these words:

Have question regarding the use of Lelandii as a compost. Noting that
usually not much grows under a lelandii tree or two does it make useful
compost and if so what is the compost best suited to?

Can shred it first to speed the process.

It will make your compost slightly acid, but yes, it composts well.
Nothing much grows under Leylandii because it's dark and dry, not
because of the compost there.

Really? The branches / leaves I've cut off and missed seem to remain
untouched for months, they dont rot at all.

Shredded evergreens decompose much faster than whole branches/leaves.

Janet

Loraine 30-03-2004 01:44 PM

lelandii, any good for compost

In article ,
(Janet Baraclough..) wrote:

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these

It will make your compost slightly acid, but yes, it composts well.
Nothing much grows under Leylandii because it's dark and dry, not
because of the compost there.

Really? The branches / leaves I've cut off and missed seem to remain
untouched for months, they dont rot at all.

Shredded evergreens decompose much faster than whole branches/leaves.

Janet

Thanks for the comments, we will shred first and as it is slightly acidic
it will be used to fill in an old pond and plan to use that area for acid
soil liking plants.

Loraine