Old 30-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Registered User

Default Rose cuttings

Hi, this is my first post here, so I hope someone can help me.

I have an old climbing (I think!) rose that I wish to take cuttings from. All of the stems are covered with fine thorns and it has a beautifully scented pink bloom. Any tips on when and how to take the cuttings, and what the best medium is for ensuring success?

Many thanks.
__________________
Daisy
Old 30-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Daisy" wrote in
message
s.com...
Hi, this is my first post here, so I hope someone can help

me.

I have an old climbing (I think!) rose that I wish to take

cuttings
from. All of the stems are covered with fine thorns and

it has a
beautifully scented pink bloom. Any tips on when and how

to take the
cuttings, and what the best medium is for ensuring

success?

Take 6" cuttings in early autumn from the current year's
growth. Make the bottom cut at a node. Use rooting hormone
and insert the leafless cuttings in the open ground.

Old 30-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Franz Heymann
Take 6" cuttings in early autumn from the current year's
growth. Make the bottom cut at a node. Use rooting hormone
and insert the leafless cuttings in the open ground.
Thanks, Franz. I may have to sneak back in the autumn as I'm moving house before then!
__________________
Daisy
Old 30-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Franz Heymann

"Daisy" wrote in
message
s.com...
Franz Heymann wrote:
*Take 6" cuttings in early autumn from the current

year's
growth. Make the bottom cut at a node. Use rooting

hormone
and insert the leafless cuttings in the open ground.

* Thanks, Franz. I may have to sneak back in the autumn

as I'm moving
house before then!

You can take them earlier, when the growth still has leaves,
but then you will probably have to keep them covered under
jam jars or transparent plastic bags

Franz

Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
Rose Cuttings - advice please Chris S United Kingdom 1 24-04-2005 09:43 PM
Rose Cuttings Chris S United Kingdom 8 15-03-2005 05:24 PM
Looking for a rose cuttings for propagation Bluebee Sky North Carolina 0 07-09-2004 09:52 PM
Age of rose cuttings Roger Bennett Roses 3 19-10-2003 06:22 AM