Old 30-03-2004, 05:42 PM
KeithS

Default Battery powered strimmers

Has anyone here bought, used, or have any opinions (good or bad) on
battery powered grass strimmers? Any recommendations welcomed.

KeithS

Old 30-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Emrys Davies

'Keith',

I have used a Flymo Cordless Multi Trim CT250 for about five years and
it has served me well. The battery time is about twenty minutes or so
and then it is definitely ready for a recharge, otherwise it gets
sluggish.

I like this tool because it allows me to wander around the garden
without me having to worry about a lead dangling behind me.

Weightwise, it is quite suitable for use by a woman.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 30-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
'Keith',
I like this tool because it allows me to wander around the garden
without me having to worry about a lead dangling behind me.

Weightwise, it is quite suitable for use by a woman.

But would my feeble, limp-wristed husband be able to cope?

Old 30-03-2004, 06:37 PM
KeithS

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
'Keith',
I like this tool because it allows me to wander around the garden
without me having to worry about a lead dangling behind me.

Weightwise, it is quite suitable for use by a woman.

But would my feeble, limp-wristed husband be able to cope?

Hey, no probs, I can always get my wife to do the strimming
KeithS

Old 30-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Emrys Davies

'Sue',

Funny you should say that as I also have a limp wrist, but I manage.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 31-03-2004, 09:34 AM
jane

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:39:06 +0100, "KeithS"
wrote:

~Has anyone here bought, used, or have any opinions (good or bad) on
~battery powered grass strimmers? Any recommendations welcomed.
~
~KeithS
~
I bought a cheapo (£40) one from Argos to do the grass at the
allotment - and lived to regret it, as it had two batteries not one
for its 30 minute usage time, each of which went really pathetic for
the last five minutes and wouldn't cut anything. It was a false
economy. Even when new, it couldn't cut nettles or really tough clumps
of grass.

After a year it was unusable, as the batteries wouldn't hold enough
charge for even five minutes of cutting. I spoke to someone else at
the allotments who'd bought a battery strimmer (a more expensive one)
and they had also noticed a significant power drop off. I tried
discharging the batteries totally to try and get round the memory
effect but it didn't make much difference.

Last year I replaced it with a tiny £70 petrol strimmer from McCulloch
(B&Q sells them), which I should have done in the first place. It's
been brilliant (though must clean the plugs etc before using it again
next week) and I would recommend one to anyone. It does cost another
£20 or so in accessories, though (goggles, ear defenders, petrol/2
stroke oil mixing bottle, petrol can) but is way more powerful than
any battery strimmer (what nettles?), doesn't have power drop-offs and
will keep going for an hour or so happily. And you can recharge it
instantly - the battery ones take up to 8 hours! And it's no heavier
than the battery one - remember that recharegable batteries are very
bulky - and easier to use.
Once you work out how to start it :-)

Hope this helps...

--