Old 02-04-2004, 04:17 AM
dave @ stejonda

Default what to plant in an old shallow sink?

I have an old porcelain laboratory sink out side my front door with
internal dimensions of 32"x11" x 6" deep. The situation is rather
exposed and thus dries quickly. I'd be grateful for some suggestions as
to what to plant in it as everything I've tried so far has died of
drought when we've gone away for our summer holiday.

--
dave @ stejonda

"To materialist eyes, India is a developing country;
to spiritual eyes, the United States is a developing country."
Ram Dass
Old 02-04-2004, 04:17 AM
Paul Luton

In message
"dave @ stejonda" wrote:

I have an old porcelain laboratory sink out side my front door with
internal dimensions of 32"x11" x 6" deep. The situation is rather
exposed and thus dries quickly. I'd be grateful for some suggestions as
to what to plant in it as everything I've tried so far has died of
drought when we've gone away for our summer holiday.

In desperation stoneleeks (sempervivums) with some species tulips for
spring colour.

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames
Old 02-04-2004, 04:18 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Paul Luton
writes
In message
"dave @ stejonda" wrote:

I have an old porcelain laboratory sink out side my front door with
internal dimensions of 32"x11" x 6" deep. The situation is rather
exposed and thus dries quickly. I'd be grateful for some suggestions as
to what to plant in it as everything I've tried so far has died of
drought when we've gone away for our summer holiday.

In desperation stoneleeks (sempervivums) with some species tulips for
spring colour.

Or various other succulent plants. Sempervivums have the advantage of
being hardy, so they can sit there all round, and there are various
hardy sedums. But aloes and hawarthias are good for summer, some with
the advantage of spikes of orange flowers. Mesembryanthemum (livingstone
daisy) should cope if you have a lot of sunshine.

Wallflowers, as their name implies, can cope quite well with drought. As
can some of the scented leaved pelargoniums.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 02-04-2004, 04:18 AM
shazzbat

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message

I have an old porcelain laboratory sink out side my front door with
internal dimensions of 32"x11" x 6" deep. The situation is rather
exposed and thus dries quickly. I'd be grateful for some suggestions as
to what to plant in it as everything I've tried so far has died of
drought when we've gone away for our summer holiday.

--
dave @ stejonda

Alpines, houseleeks etc. They're small, they're cheap, they're not much
work. Gardening doesn't get much better than that :-))

Planted in a fairly gritty/sandy type soil (there's probably a special
alpine mix available, and covered with whatever stone/slate/pebble covering
you personally find visually attractive.

Steve

Old 02-04-2004, 04:18 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "dave @ stejonda" contains these
words:

I have an old porcelain laboratory sink out side my front door with
internal dimensions of 32"x11" x 6" deep. The situation is rather
exposed and thus dries quickly. I'd be grateful for some suggestions as
to what to plant in it as everything I've tried so far has died of
drought when we've gone away for our summer holiday.

How about houseleeks? (B and Q usually stock several kinds). They can
go ages without water. If you top the soil with grit the houseleeks will
like it, and it will conserve moisture when you're away.

Janet

Old 02-04-2004, 04:19 AM
JennyC

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message

I have an old porcelain laboratory sink out side my front door with
internal dimensions of 32"x11" x 6" deep. The situation is rather
exposed and thus dries quickly. I'd be grateful for some suggestions as
to what to plant in it as everything I've tried so far has died of
drought when we've gone away for our summer holiday.

--
dave @ stejonda

Alpines, houseleeks etc. They're small, they're cheap, they're not much
work. Gardening doesn't get much better than that :-))

Planted in a fairly gritty/sandy type soil (there's probably a special
alpine mix available, and covered with whatever stone/slate/pebble covering
you personally find visually attractive.

Steve

I have several shallow pots planted with alpines which do really well on my hot
roof garden.

The following site has more info and several planting lists etc :
http://www.backyardgardener.com/trough.html

Jenny

Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Janet
Baraclough.. writes
The message
from "dave @ stejonda" contains these
words:

I have an old porcelain laboratory sink out side my front door with
internal dimensions of 32"x11" x 6" deep. The situation is rather
exposed and thus dries quickly. I'd be grateful for some suggestions as
to what to plant in it as everything I've tried so far has died of
drought when we've gone away for our summer holiday.

How about houseleeks? (B and Q usually stock several kinds). They can
go ages without water. If you top the soil with grit the houseleeks will
like it, and it will conserve moisture when you're away.

Thanks Janet, but what are houseleeks? I know what 'ordinary' leeks are
but have never come across these. Do they have another name? Are they
hardy?

ahhh, I've just discovered... ;-)

--
dave @ stejonda