GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   fast growing shrub suggestions please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/57673-fast-growing-shrub-suggestions-please.html)

Pickle 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

fast growing shrub suggestions please

The bottom end of my garden was a wilderness full of brambles, a rowan
tree, some huge old hebes, hawthorn etc.
We have cleared away the brambles and dead stuff and it all looks a
bit bare down there now. We want to keep it as a bit of a screen to
block off where the compost heap is and also provide shelter for birds
etc.
Can anyone suggest some fairly quick growing shrubs that will grow to
a decent size (6' or so) and also grow quite thick and not need too
much maintenance.
If it has bird-friendly berries or something then that would be even
better.
Don't want conifers as I don't like them.
The soil is pretty rich down there owing to loads of leaf mould from
big oak tree and it gets a bit wet in winter, it only gets sun in the
afternoons.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Sacha 02-04-2004 04:24 AM

fast growing shrub suggestions please

Pickle1/4/04 5:18

snip
Can anyone suggest some fairly quick growing shrubs that will grow to
a decent size (6' or so) and also grow quite thick and not need too
much maintenance.
If it has bird-friendly berries or something then that would be even
better.
Don't want conifers as I don't like them.
The soil is pretty rich down there owing to loads of leaf mould from
big oak tree and it gets a bit wet in winter, it only gets sun in the
afternoons.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Where do you live and how about Viburnum tinus, Escallonia or Griselinia in
mild areas, Aucuba.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Nick Wagg 02-04-2004 09:05 AM

fast growing shrub suggestions please

"Pickle" wrote in message
m...

Can anyone suggest some fairly quick growing shrubs that will grow to
a decent size (6' or so) and also grow quite thick and not need too
much maintenance.

Choisia grows well and there are some variegated varieties but they
don't have berries.
--
Nick Wagg

Sacha 06-04-2004 09:42 PM

fast growing shrub suggestions please

Pickle3/4/04 10:06

Sacha wrote in message
. co.uk...
Pickle1/4/04 5:18

snip
Where do you live and how about Viburnum tinus, Escallonia or Griselinia in
mild areas, Aucuba.

I live in Hampshire so it's pretty mild down here.

Then your best bet is to see what neighbours are growing, ask a local
gardening group or a good, knowledgeable nursery. Some parts of Hampshire
can get some horrid frosts! If you're near the sea, you're probably
luckier. You could grow Eucalyptus also and keep them trimmed to the height
you want them.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 06-04-2004 09:42 PM

fast growing shrub suggestions please

Pickle3/4/04 10:06

Sacha wrote in message
. co.uk...
Pickle1/4/04 5:18

snip

Pickle 06-04-2004 09:47 PM

fast growing shrub suggestions please

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message ...
"Pickle" wrote in message
m...

Can anyone suggest some fairly quick growing shrubs that will grow to
a decent size (6' or so) and also grow quite thick and not need too
much maintenance.

So far I've gone for a Drimys lanceolata as I liked the red stems.
Will probably also get a viburnum tinis.
Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Sacha 06-04-2004 09:47 PM

fast growing shrub suggestions please

Pickle5/4/04 7:42

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
"Pickle" wrote in message
m...

Can anyone suggest some fairly quick growing shrubs that will grow to
a decent size (6' or so) and also grow quite thick and not need too
much maintenance.

So far I've gone for a Drimys lanceolata as I liked the red stems.
Will probably also get a viburnum tinis.
Thanks for your suggestions guys.

In that case, how about some of the Cornus family - pretty coloured stems
there, too.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)