Old 02-04-2004, 05:21 AM

Default potatoes

Hello,

Following the advice from here (I'm so glad I found you guys!) I have
decided to grow potatoes in tyres. I've got some tyres but I'm not
sure if I'll need mo will I need 2 foot or 3 foot high columns?

I bought some Kestrel because everyone here said it was brilliant, and
it said on the packaging too that it was a good all rounder; I'm not
sure if that referred to cooking or growing!

I have put them on the windowsill to chit. There is some growth, but
not as much as I would like. How fast do they grow? Most of my shoots
are still under an inch. In the shop, the potatoes which have not been
bought have shoots eight inches long! Am I right to think that you
plant out when at eight inches?

Am I also right to think first earlies do not need chitting and you
plant those straight away?

I also bought Desiree, which is supposed to be pink but they are
brown. The problem now is that I can't remember which are which! Any
pointers?

Many thanks.

Stephen.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Alan Holmes

wrote in message
Hello,

Following the advice from here (I'm so glad I found you guys!) I have
decided to grow potatoes in tyres. I've got some tyres but I'm not
sure if I'll need mo will I need 2 foot or 3 foot high columns?

In the garden centre today I saw a 'Netlon Centinal Potato Barrel'
it was about 2 feet high (60cm) and 18 inches (42cm) diam and
cost about 30 pounds.

The thing which drew my attention, was, that it had doors in the
bottom which, when the potatoes had developed, you could open
and pick the potatoes by hand without the problem of digging
them up and finding they weren't ready after all.

Could be much better than using tyres.

Alan

Old 06-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Alan Holmes

wrote in message
Hello,

Following the advice from here (I'm so glad I found you guys!) I have
decided to grow potatoes in tyres. I've got some tyres but I'm not
sure if I'll need mo will I need 2 foot or 3 foot high columns?

I bought some Kestrel because everyone here said it was brilliant, and
it said on the packaging too that it was a good all rounder; I'm not
sure if that referred to cooking or growing!

I have put them on the windowsill to chit. There is some growth, but
not as much as I would like. How fast do they grow? Most of my shoots
are still under an inch. In the shop, the potatoes which have not been
bought have shoots eight inches long! Am I right to think that you
plant out when at eight inches?

The potatoes in that shop have not been stored correctly, I would not
buy them if they were that bad. Mine are still well under an inch and I
would not expect to plant them for another three weeks, when they are
about an inch.

Alan