Old 06-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default URGLers in Wales... (Ferryside, Carmarthenshire)

In article ,
"Martin Sykes" writes:

| Even a newbie should be able to recognise some simple things like oak trees
| which indicate acidity, or nettles which are a good indicator of fertility.

The trouble is that many indicators - such as those two - are very
unreliable. SOME are reliable, such as rhododendron woods or wild
juniper, but most have exceptions.

Oaks will grow even on moderately alkaline soil, so you have to
be able to tell natural woods from plantations or outliers. And
nettles are phosphate lovers, so are found where stock used to
be kept (and next to drove roads), even on poor soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

snip The trouble is that many indicators - such as those two - are very
unreliable. SOME are reliable, such as rhododendron woods or wild
juniper

Aha!
That explains why I got away with "bunging blueberries straight in the
soil" - we've got rhododenrons growing wild 200 yards below our plot!
(It may also explain why my brussels and cauliflowers were so
disappointing?)

Old 06-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sue da Nimm . wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

snip The trouble is that many indicators - such as those two - are very
unreliable. SOME are reliable, such as rhododendron woods or wild
juniper

Aha!
That explains why I got away with "bunging blueberries straight in the
soil" - we've got rhododenrons growing wild 200 yards below our plot!
(It may also explain why my brussels and cauliflowers were so
disappointing?)

It might indeed. But cauliflowers are notoriously tricky, anyway.

On that matter, I recommend purple sprouting (and, if you like it,
the various kales). It isn't overbred and so is very tough, and
crops when little else does. You will find a few other fans of
it on this group :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Jim W

Martin Sykes wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1gbn20l.158ikiz9d9sx2N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

Normally Martin this is what I'd do, but as I said she is a newbie..

She described soil as black and wet (see, a newbie) thx for the advice
but its not what I asked

Jim

Even a newbie should be able to recognise some simple things like oak trees
which indicate acidity, or nettles which are a good indicator of fertility.

LOL you'd be surprised Martin

//
Jim

Old 10-04-2004, 12:36 AM
Jim W

Jim W wrote:

Hi URGlers..

Does anyone know what the soil type is in the area in subject.?

SNIPPED

Ta for the answers folks.. Looks like I will have to have a trip to
Wales sometime to see for myself..

Oooh the simplicity of one soil!

In London we have this.. London Clay :-)

LOL

Jim
Old 10-04-2004, 05:05 AM
Martin Sykes

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 11-04-2004, 12:33 AM
Martin Sykes

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1gblux6.5936f8tyl258N%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...
Hi URGlers..

Does anyone know what the soil type is in the area in subject.?

Or better still what plants do specifically well there.. A non
gardening friend of mine has asked for some plant recommendations (must
be fairly 'common' to garden centres etc or mail ordarable).

They need to be the 'foolproof types' which I can make a list of myself
but I just wondered if the area is known to provide ideal conditions for
any particular plants.

Specifically perennials and shrubs (not annual stuff:-))

And any URGlers around there that might be willing to offer advice to a
plant newbie?

Cheers

Jim
North London, England, UK

Thinking laterally, could you ask her to take a few samples and post them to
you. You could test them yourself then.
--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )