Old 02-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Jim W

Default URGLers in Wales... (Ferryside, Carmarthenshire)

Hi URGlers..

Does anyone know what the soil type is in the area in subject.?

Or better still what plants do specifically well there.. A non
gardening friend of mine has asked for some plant recommendations (must
be fairly 'common' to garden centres etc or mail ordarable).

They need to be the 'foolproof types' which I can make a list of myself
but I just wondered if the area is known to provide ideal conditions for
any particular plants.

Specifically perennials and shrubs (not annual stuff:-))

And any URGlers around there that might be willing to offer advice to a
plant newbie?

Cheers

Jim
North London, England, UK
Old 02-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Martin Sykes

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1gblux6.5936f8tyl258N%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...
Hi URGlers..

Does anyone know what the soil type is in the area in subject.?

Or better still what plants do specifically well there.. A non
gardening friend of mine has asked for some plant recommendations (must
be fairly 'common' to garden centres etc or mail ordarable).

They need to be the 'foolproof types' which I can make a list of myself
but I just wondered if the area is known to provide ideal conditions for
any particular plants.

Specifically perennials and shrubs (not annual stuff:-))

And any URGlers around there that might be willing to offer advice to a
plant newbie?

Soil types can be a lot more localised than you'd think. Easiest thing is to
find out what her neighbours are growing as a guide to what does well.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Jim W

Martin Sykes wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
[...]

Normally Martin this is what I'd do, but as I said she is a newbie..

She described soil as black and wet (see, a newbie) thx for the advice
but its not what I asked

Jim

Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Anthony

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1gblux6.5936f8tyl258N%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...
Hi URGlers..

Does anyone know what the soil type is in the area in subject.?

Or better still what plants do specifically well there.. A non
gardening friend of mine has asked for some plant recommendations (must
be fairly 'common' to garden centres etc or mail ordarable).

They need to be the 'foolproof types' which I can make a list of myself
but I just wondered if the area is known to provide ideal conditions for
any particular plants.

Specifically perennials and shrubs (not annual stuff:-))

And any URGlers around there that might be willing to offer advice to a
plant newbie?

Cheers

Jim
North London, England, UK

http://bangor.ceh.ac.uk/SSSPDF/Chapt...in%20Wales.PDF
National soil map for Wales
PDF file so you will need Adobe Acrobat to view it.
Might be of help, sorry can't help further.

Anthony

Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 PM
David Hill

"..... She described soil as black and wet (see, a newbie) thx for the
advice but its not what I asked ........"

What you asked is almost impossible to answer as you have already been told.
It depends where she is in /around Ferryside, at estuary level or on
surrounding higher ground,
A new house or an old property, if new then the builder may have taken soil
away, imported soil or left what was there.
A lot of the soil in the area is a very acid loam/silt, but can change over
a 100 yds.
Normally good veg area, but as for plants it depends what she wants to grow.
Alpines , herbaceous, shrubs, trees ?
My advice would also to look at other local gardens, and ask local people
what they are growing (She may well end up being given quite a lot of plants
that way).
Several good garden centres and nurseries in the area and they are going to
stock plants that will do well locally, esp if she goes to local nurseries
she should get all the advice she needs.
This is probably not what you asked as well but probably the best you will
get.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Jim W

David Hill wrote:

"..... She described soil as black and wet (see, a newbie) thx for the
advice but its not what I asked ........"

What you asked is almost impossible to answer as you have already been told.
It depends where she is in /around Ferryside, at estuary level or on
surrounding higher ground,
A new house or an old property, if new then the builder may have taken soil
away, imported soil or left what was there.
A lot of the soil in the area is a very acid loam/silt, but can change over
a 100 yds.

Ta for that.. thats a good start

Normally good veg area, but as for plants it depends what she wants to grow.
Alpines , herbaceous, shrubs, trees ?
My advice would also to look at other local gardens, and ask local people
what they are growing (She may well end up being given quite a lot of plants
that way).
Several good garden centres and nurseries in the area and they are going to
stock plants that will do well locally, esp if she goes to local nurseries
she should get all the advice she needs.
This is probably not what you asked as well but probably the best you will
get.

Cheers David.

Jim

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Martin Sykes" writes:

| Even a newbie should be able to recognise some simple things like oak trees
| which indicate acidity, or nettles which are a good indicator of fertility.

The trouble is that many indicators - such as those two - are very
unreliable. SOME are reliable, such as rhododendron woods or wild
juniper, but most have exceptions.

Oaks will grow even on moderately alkaline soil, so you have to
be able to tell natural woods from plantations or outliers. And
nettles are phosphate lovers, so are found where stock used to
be kept (and next to drove roads), even on poor soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.