Old 02-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Victoria Clare

Default hedging plants - chestnuts & golden hop?

I've got about 8-10 feet of bare and wobbly fence where a shed was moved.

Though in some ways I like beech hedging best, I do have 2 young sweet
chestnut trees, a hazel, a holly, and a golden hop tree all sitting in pots
waiting for me to think what to do with them.

I'm tempted to stick them in as a hedge, thus solving 2 problems at a
stroke.

Anyone know how they might behave as a hedge? I want them as a screen and
windbreak rather than necessarily being completely stockproof, and intend
to keep the hedge trimmed to about 3-4 feet.

Victoria

--
Clare Associates Ltd
http://www.clareassoc.co.uk/
Old 02-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article . 11,
Victoria Clare writes:
| I've got about 8-10 feet of bare and wobbly fence where a shed was moved.
|
| Though in some ways I like beech hedging best, I do have 2 young sweet
| chestnut trees, a hazel, a holly, and a golden hop tree all sitting in pots
| waiting for me to think what to do with them.
|
| I'm tempted to stick them in as a hedge, thus solving 2 problems at a
| stroke.
|
| Anyone know how they might behave as a hedge? I want them as a screen and
| windbreak rather than necessarily being completely stockproof, and intend
| to keep the hedge trimmed to about 3-4 feet.

Holly, no problem, but it might be a bit small for hazel and
chestnut. You won't get nuts if you do that, but I would expect
them to tolerate being clipped fairly hard, even if they don't
like it.

But what do you mean by a golden hop tree? The standard golden
hop is a herbaceous climber, and will dominate any hedge that
size. There is something called a hop tree, but I know little
about it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:20:28 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

I've got about 8-10 feet of bare and wobbly fence where a shed was moved.

Though in some ways I like beech hedging best, I do have 2 young sweet
chestnut trees, a hazel, a holly, and a golden hop tree all sitting in pots
waiting for me to think what to do with them.

I'm tempted to stick them in as a hedge, thus solving 2 problems at a
stroke.

Anyone know how they might behave as a hedge? I want them as a screen and
windbreak rather than necessarily being completely stockproof, and intend
to keep the hedge trimmed to about 3-4 feet.

You'd have to be quite harsh to the chestnut - it's quite vigorous,
and will thicken up at the base quite rapidly.
It also has a tendency to throw out branches at any and every angle,
so will need to be reined in hard.
The best that can be said for it is that it's fast growing.

Hazel too might be a bit tricky to keep neat, though it tends to want
to grow straight up rather than outwards.

Holly is fine, if a little slow to get going.

I have all three in a hedge along the back of my land, and it's always
the chestnut and hazel that give grief...along with an ash.

If you'e in no hurry, I'd leave out the big boys and maybe go for
Privet, Box and Yew ( among others ) and hedgefillers.

I've no idea what a hop tree is - but if it's the Golden Hop as I know
it ( the climber ) then I think it would tend to cludge up your hedge.
It puts out a LOT of foliage, which will drop down into the hedge in
the Autumn, and it will probably strangle anything less beefy.
I reckon you're hard put to beat a wild rose and a periwinkle for
'inter-hedge' interest - or a honeysuckle, if you don't mind hacking
it back every so often.
And controversial as it may sound, our old enemy, the Bindweed, can
often look wonderful in this context ( ducks ).

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 06-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Victoria Clare

Stephen Howard wrote in
:

You'd have to be quite harsh to the chestnut - it's quite vigorous,
and will thicken up at the base quite rapidly.
It also has a tendency to throw out branches at any and every angle,
so will need to be reined in hard.
The best that can be said for it is that it's fast growing.

Hazel too might be a bit tricky to keep neat, though it tends to want
to grow straight up rather than outwards.

I know what you mean. My entire garden is surrounded by hazel hedging and
it does need a firm hand!

I hate privet, and don't fancy waiting long enough for box or yew though.

Victoria

Old 06-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Emery Davis

]
] Though in some ways I like beech hedging best, I do have 2 young sweet
] chestnut trees, a hazel, a holly, and a golden hop tree all sitting in pots
] waiting for me to think what to do with them.
]
] I'm tempted to stick them in as a hedge, thus solving 2 problems at a
] stroke.
]
] Anyone know how they might behave as a hedge? I want them as a screen and
] windbreak rather than necessarily being completely stockproof, and intend
] to keep the hedge trimmed to about 3-4 feet.
]
]
] Victoria
]

Hi Victoria,

We've got both hazel and chestnut in hedging about twice the height your thinking
of. The hazel is no problem, the chestnut is so vigorous it is hard to keep neat looking.
I'd guess at 3-4 ft, chestnut should be avoided. The others should be OK, though,
with the caveat I don't know anything about hops outside the glass!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

Old 06-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Victoria Clare

Emery Davis wrote in
:

We've got both hazel and chestnut in hedging about twice the height
your thinking of. The hazel is no problem, the chestnut is so
vigorous it is hard to keep neat looking. I'd guess at 3-4 ft,
chestnut should be avoided. The others should be OK, though, with the
caveat I don't know anything about hops outside the glass!

Thanks all.

From everyone's comments, the chestnuts need more space and the hop and
hazel aren't wide enough to fill the gap alone.

So I bought a few nice little beech saplings - I do like beech hedging -
and will find somewhere else for the nut trees.

Will try to remember once I plant the Golden Hop tree and it's had some
time to develop, to stick a photo on the web so people know what it looks
like!

Victoria