GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is it a normal or tree peony? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/58252-re-normal-tree-peony.html)

Sacha 06-04-2004 09:41 PM

Is it a normal or tree peony?

MallowKat3/4/04 10:20

I bought a tiny little plant at a coffee morning claiming to be a tree
peony.As
I've never grown peonies before, am I right in thinking peonies are herbaceous
whereas tree peonies are shrubs?

Thankyou

Yes, that's right. Some Tree peonies can look a bit shabby after they've
flowered and the flowering is over all too soon. We have one in particular
which is outside our dining room window. It was cut back to about 3' from
the ground last year and is now up to about 6' at a guess. In our case,
this is quite welcome as it stops people peering in through the windows but
you might like to bear that in mind when planting yours. If it's that tiny,
it would be better to keep it in the pot in a bit of shelter until it's got
a good mass of root and then plant it out.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Rod 06-04-2004 09:41 PM

Is it a normal or tree peony?

On 03 Apr 2004 09:20:45 GMT, (MallowKat) wrote:

I bought a tiny little plant at a coffee morning claiming to be a tree peony.As
I've never grown peonies before, am I right in thinking peonies are herbaceous
whereas tree peonies are shrubs?

Thankyou

Not easy to tell with a very young plant. Next year or 2 you will
start to see the beginnings of a woody structure if it's a tree
Paeony.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Bob Hobden 06-04-2004 09:42 PM

Is it a normal or tree peony?

"MallowKat" wrote in message
I bought a tiny little plant at a coffee morning claiming to be a tree

peony.As
I've never grown peonies before, am I right in thinking peonies are

herbaceous
whereas tree peonies are shrubs?

Tree peonies will, very slowly, grow a stem or stems which remain after the
leaves have gone in the autumn, whereas normal peonies loose all top growth
every year and simply come up from ground level.
TP's are slow growing BTW.
One of mine, when it got to about 18inches of stem for some reason died back
to ground level again causing me to think I'd lost it, but it is now just
shooting from the roots again.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

MallowKat 06-04-2004 09:47 PM

Is it a normal or tree peony?

Thankyou very much, Sacha, Rob and Bob for your comments. I think I might have
a bit of a wait before I can plant my little peony out - and find out what kind
it is, but at least now I'll know what to look for.

MallowKat 06-04-2004 09:47 PM

Is it a normal or tree peony?