Old 06-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Andy

Default Revolting Maggot with Legs Thing.

Hi all,

I dug up these revolting things today. They looked like one inch
white maggots but with red legs at the front. Does anyone know what
they were and if they're harmful or useful? I'm afraid that I killed
them cos they were so utterly disgusting so I hope they're not
gardeners friend material. I also found some mummified looking large
dark pink beetles. Are the two related I wonder?

Any help appreciated,

Andy
Old 06-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Robert

Andy wrote:
: Hi all,
:
: I dug up these revolting things today. They looked like one inch
: white maggots but with red legs at the front. Does anyone know what
: they were and if they're harmful or useful? I'm afraid that I killed
: them cos they were so utterly disgusting so I hope they're not
: gardeners friend material. I also found some mummified looking large
: dark pink beetles. Are the two related I wonder?
:
: Any help appreciated,
:
: Andy

Don't know ..... do you kill everything that's ugly lol?

Old 06-04-2004, 10:46 PM
nick gray

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi all,

I dug up these revolting things today. They looked like one inch
white maggots but with red legs at the front. Does anyone know what
they were and if they're harmful or useful? I'm afraid that I killed
them cos they were so utterly disgusting so I hope they're not
gardeners friend material. I also found some mummified looking large
dark pink beetles. Are the two related I wonder?

Any help appreciated,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Sounds like they could be stag beetle larvae. Were you digging up an old
tree root? Stag beetle larvae are friends in the garden and feed on decaying
wood.

Do they look like this?

http://www.ptes.org/stagbeetle/Stag_.../aboutstag.htm

If you find any more, place them into some dead wood nearby.

Cheers

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 06-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Martin

Andy wrote:
Hi all,

I dug up these revolting things today. They looked like one inch
white maggots but with red legs at the front. Does anyone know what
they were and if they're harmful or useful? I'm afraid that I killed
them cos they were so utterly disgusting so I hope they're not
gardeners friend material. I also found some mummified looking large
dark pink beetles. Are the two related I wonder?

Any help appreciated,

Andy

They taste a lot better if you take the legs off first.

Martin

---

Old 06-04-2004, 10:46 PM
George Orwell

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 17:12:18 +0100, Andy
wrote:

Hi all,

I dug up these revolting things today. They looked like one inch
white maggots but with red legs at the front. Does anyone know what
they were and if they're harmful or useful? I'm afraid that I killed
them cos they were so utterly disgusting so I hope they're not
gardeners friend material. I also found some mummified looking large
dark pink beetles. Are the two related I wonder?

Incredible to think they are releasing plonkers like you into the
community!

Old 06-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Andy

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 19:22:40 +0100, "nick gray"
wrote:

I dug up these revolting things today. They looked like one inch
white maggots but with red legs at the front. Does anyone know what
they were and if they're harmful or useful? I'm afraid that I killed
them cos they were so utterly disgusting so I hope they're not
gardeners friend material. I also found some mummified looking large
dark pink beetles. Are the two related I wonder?

Any help appreciated,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Sounds like they could be stag beetle larvae. Were you digging up an old
tree root? Stag beetle larvae are friends in the garden and feed on decaying
wood.

Do they look like this?

http://www.ptes.org/stagbeetle/Stag_.../aboutstag.htm

If you find any more, place them into some dead wood nearby.

Cheers

That's them - next lot will be placed on dead wood. Wonder what they
were doing about 300 yards from the nearest tree?

Old 06-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Andy

wrote:

Hi all,

I dug up these revolting things today. They looked like one inch
white maggots but with red legs at the front. Does anyone know what
they were and if they're harmful or useful? I'm afraid that I killed
them cos they were so utterly disgusting so I hope they're not
gardeners friend material. I also found some mummified looking large
dark pink beetles. Are the two related I wonder?

Incredible to think they are releasing plonkers like you into the
community!

Fraid so. Still; if I was that much of a plonker I wouldn't have
bothered asking.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Andy

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 17:50:13 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

Andy wrote:
: Hi all,
:
: I dug up these revolting things today. They looked like one inch
: white maggots but with red legs at the front. Does anyone know what
: they were and if they're harmful or useful? I'm afraid that I killed
: them cos they were so utterly disgusting so I hope they're not
: gardeners friend material. I also found some mummified looking large
: dark pink beetles. Are the two related I wonder?
:
: Any help appreciated,
:
: Andy

Don't know ..... do you kill everything that's ugly lol?

I have difficulty restraining myself when I look in the mirror in the
morning. I had to get rid of the cut throat razor 'cos of my primal
urges.

Andy