GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Always Shady and Damp. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/58289-always-shady-damp.html)

homer 06-04-2004 09:48 PM

Always Shady and Damp.

No that's not how people describe me! Its the state of part of my garden.
What kinds of flowers/shrubs/plants tolerate or even prefer these
conditions? I'm looking for something that's colourful, pretty and can take
care of it self (sort of like Wonder Woman!)
It must like wet soil and the occasional glimpse of the sun.

thanks
homer

redclay 06-04-2004 09:48 PM

Always Shady and Damp.

homer wrote in message
No that's not how people describe me! Its the state of part of my garden.
What kinds of flowers/shrubs/plants tolerate or even prefer these
conditions? I'm looking for something that's colourful, pretty and can

take
care of it self (sort of like Wonder Woman!)
It must like wet soil and the occasional glimpse of the sun.

thanks
homer

Ferns and mosses. Head to the local library for the gardening design books.

Sacha 06-04-2004 09:48 PM

Always Shady and Damp.

redclay5/4/04 1:06
net

homer wrote in message
No that's not how people describe me! Its the state of part of my garden.
What kinds of flowers/shrubs/plants tolerate or even prefer these
conditions? I'm looking for something that's colourful, pretty and can

take
care of it self (sort of like Wonder Woman!)
It must like wet soil and the occasional glimpse of the sun.

thanks
homer

Ferns and mosses. Head to the local library for the gardening design books.

Ligularia (though it won't like total shade) and Rodgersia, Clematis unless
it's really water-logged all the time, Mimulus cardinalis are all possibles.
While at that library, look up boggy plants. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Philippe Gautier 06-04-2004 09:48 PM

Always Shady and Damp.

Sacha wrote:
redclay5/4/04 1:06
net

homer wrote in message
. ..

No that's not how people describe me! Its the state of part of my garden.
What kinds of flowers/shrubs/plants tolerate or even prefer these
conditions? I'm looking for something that's colourful, pretty and can

take

care of it self (sort of like Wonder Woman!)
It must like wet soil and the occasional glimpse of the sun.

thanks
homer

Hi, I have a garden exactly like this here in Edinburgh. 3 quarters of
it have no sun at all and the back corner of it has 1 hour or 2 of sun
in the summer.

I put a link to some pictures he

http://www.gogo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk...er03/index.htm

In the dampest/darker part, I have been very successfully growing:
Astilbes, fatsia Japonica, lungworth, salomon seals, euphorbias,
dicentras, japanese maples, aquileas, etc...

I swear that these plants have never ever seen any sun at all!

philippe

Philippe Gautier 06-04-2004 09:48 PM

Always Shady and Damp.

Sacha wrote: