GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shredders - any advice? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/58306-shredders-any-advice.html)

Paul Gerrish 06-04-2004 10:50 PM

Shredders - any advice?

Small to medium size garden and as composting space is limited decided
to get a shredder to compost more and send less to bin. There is small
amount of small branches, in the autumn lots of beech leaves and quite
a lot of small general prunings /green material. Consequently I want
somehting that will deal with green materials as well as branches and
preferabley reasonably quiet. There are little in way of reviews but
three appear
Ryobi RGS1500 £169 - seems well recommended but not sure it is quiet
or advanced in its cutting mechnaism
AL-Ko SP3500 £269 - seems quiet and seems to have a crush mechanism;
any good for leaves /green material etc..
Bosch AXT 2000 Xp £169 - not sure if this is the same as ATCO Quiet
shredder as these are made by Bosch
ATCO Quiet 1800 Shredder £260- seems to have a spiral pull in

Can anybody spare some time to advise if they have any experience in
this area?

many thanks

Paul

nambucca 06-04-2004 10:51 PM

Shredders - any advice?

"bigboard" wrote in message
Paul Gerrish wrote:
[...]

I've got a Bosch 2000, which has a screw cutter. Very quiet in
comparison with shredders with blades, and deals with pretty much
anything to small to put on my open fire. I would heartily recommend it.

Band Q are currently selling Mountfield Shredder for £169
seems to have yet another kind of mechanism bit like the Bosch

Focus Do it all have the Bosch 1600 for £169 too

I have a Champion 1600 which is a bit like Atco etc just 2 blades on a
circular plate .......great while they are sharp but have to get them
changed every year by the mower shop as its definitely not a DIY job

Paul Gerrish 06-04-2004 10:52 PM

Shredders - any advice?

Many thanks for your advice and time - Easter weekend looks time set to buy one

Paul

Paul Gerrish 06-04-2004 10:52 PM

Shredders - any advice?

bigboard 07-04-2004 11:09 AM

Shredders - any advice?

Paul Gerrish wrote:
Many thanks for your advice and time - Easter weekend looks time set to buy one

Paul

Only one caveat with the Bosch: Shredding with it can be addictive, and
my garden is only now starting to recover from the shredding onslaught
last year.

Geoff Rousell 07-04-2004 11:33 PM

Shredders - any advice?

bigboard wrote in
:

Paul Gerrish wrote:
Many thanks for your advice and time - Easter weekend looks time set
to buy one

Paul

Only one caveat with the Bosch: Shredding with it can be addictive,
and my garden is only now starting to recover from the shredding
onslaught last year.

....and our garden has many paths surfaced with Bosch-made shreddings.
There IS a technique to getting maximum throughput without clogging; in my
experience the Bosch doesn't copy too well with large amounts of leaves,
but will shred reasonably "woody" material all day, providing it isn't too
dry. The "mincer" mechanism it uses pulls the material into the machine
without any effort required.

Geoff

Victoria Clare 08-04-2004 11:33 AM

Shredders - any advice?

Geoff Rousell wrote in
52.50:

bigboard wrote in
:

Only one caveat with the Bosch: Shredding with it can be addictive,
and my garden is only now starting to recover from the shredding
onslaught last year.

...and our garden has many paths surfaced with Bosch-made shreddings.
There IS a technique to getting maximum throughput without clogging;
in my experience the Bosch doesn't copy too well with large amounts of
leaves, but will shred reasonably "woody" material all day, providing
it isn't too dry. The "mincer" mechanism it uses pulls the material
into the machine without any effort required.

.... And try to keep the father in law away from it. Mine has this
conviction that *anything* will go through the Bosch if you shove hard
enough, which is almost true, but *not* the quickest of approaches, as you
spend half the time unbunging it when a slightly more circumspect approach
would not have bunged it up in the first place!

I can recommend Tesco.com as a supplier of Bosch shredders.

Mine was cheaper than anywhere else at the time, delivered to the door,
and when I discovered the first one had a manufacturing fault (rare, but
does happen according to the Bosch helpline) they spirited it away and
brought a new one very quickly and with no arguing at all.

Victoria

Franz Heymann 08-04-2004 05:36 PM

Shredders - any advice?

"Paul Gerrish" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

On a side-track:
Is it safe to put dandelions, nettles and buttercups through a
shredder and use the results as a mulch, or will that just be an
efficient way of propagating weeds?

Franz

Philip 10-04-2004 07:06 AM

Shredders - any advice?

(Paul Gerrish) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Paul I have experience of two types.

An AtCo rotary type - loads of noise and jams regularly (until you get
the hang of it). Then once you have got its measure it will still jam
from time to time. Wet stuff combined with the narrow 'out shoot'
tend to cause the jamming.
Partial dis-assemby needed to claer jams.

Cannot remember the make of the other type but it was obviously more
expensive. It operated more on a crushing approach. The blades were
incorporated into a oval shaped drum which rotated and pulled the
matarial in. The oval shape of the drum caused a crush effect. Much
quieter, could handle thicker branches with ease. Reverse feature
meant that jams were only of a temporary nature.

The Bosch ones I have seen have the screw blade system. This looks
like a variant mid way between the two I have described.

Features to look out for :

Reverse
Exit ramp is wide and as straight as possible.
Exit is preferable aided by gravity
Exit is high enough to go straight into your barrow (or whatever youre
going to catch it all in)

Charlie Pridham 10-04-2004 10:02 AM

Shredders - any advice?

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Paul Gerrish" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

On a side-track:
Is it safe to put dandelions, nettles and buttercups through a
shredder and use the results as a mulch, or will that just be an
efficient way of propagating weeds?

Franz

I don't because of the attendant soil, I find green sappy stuff will rot
without shedding, weeds such as you describe I just leave on the surface to
die.
I am also a recent convert to the Bosch shredder, had an ATCO for 18 years
and was pleased with it but the Bosch is way better.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Janet Tweedy 12-04-2004 11:35 AM

Shredders - any advice?

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

I am also a recent convert to the Bosch shredder, had an ATCO for 18 years
and was pleased with it but the Bosch is way better.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

Bosch are absolutely no good for gardens with hawthorn or similar
hedges. The hedge trimmings tend not to be straight but bent at
different angles all over!

I by passed the Bosch as it has a silly 'letterbox' slot for an inlet
and instead chose the brilliant Viking (Stihl) one, which has a
circular opening at the top which means you can shove funny shaped bits
into it.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph