Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Kaffir lily is an offensive name

It is amazing how such a topic reveals who are the bigoted racists among us
and the clueless sycophants that empower them.

A truly enlightened individual would have admitted that such racist plant
names are offensive, vow never to use them again and enlighten other not to
use them.

Instead we actually have had several who vainly try to justify lame excuses
to continue to use racist and hateful names for plants. Such names spoil the
garden of delights for the enjoyment others and have no place in the modern
garden. There is not enough shame for these misguided trolls who continue to
perpetuate hate and trick other into doing so in such subtle ways as using
hateful names for plants.

It doesn't matter whether those who are insulted are aware they are. One may
have the momentary feeling of superiority in knowing that they are insulting
someone without their immediately be aware of it but the other person will
eventually find out and still be hurt by such things. You should consider
the feelings of others as you would want others consider yours. Isn't that
the "golden rule" anyway?

Maybe the only way to get the message across is by refusing to deal with
those nurseries who perpetuate hateful names of plants and not buying the
garden books that do the same? Its a new millennium and its about time
everyone finally got with the program.

"Lori S" wrote in message
Wow, such hostility in such a beautiful NG. No need for that, let's get
back to the topic! Spread the aloha spirit I always say...random acts of
kindness to replace the ugliest of things. Ignore and delete is the way

defeat! Lori )

Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
David Hill

[...]

Balderdash!

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Cereus-validus

The last paragraph of my posting is the one that should be most relevant to
you in particular, David.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
David Hill

Cereus-validus wrote "The last paragraph of my posting is the one that
should be most relevant to you in particular, David.

"Maybe the only way to get the message across is by refusing to deal with
those nurseries who perpetuate hateful names of plants and not buying the
garden books that do the same? Its a new millennium and its about time
everyone finally got with the program."

I doubt if even you can find an offensive name amongst any of the dahlias in
my catalogue.

And I would refer you to what you say in para. 4

"It doesn't matter whether those who are insulted are aware they are. One
may have the momentary feeling of superiority in knowing that they are
insulting someone without their immediately be aware of it but the other
person will eventually find out and still be hurt by such things. You should
consider
the feelings of others as you would want others consider yours. Isn't that
the "golden rule" anyway?

You really should keep this in mind when you start insulting people and
calling them names etc as you so often do.
Is it this "momentary feeling of superiority in knowing that they are
insulting someone " that gives you such a kick?

You so often exhibit a great knowledge of plants, and a great use of
reference material in how you answer many questions raised here, then next
minute you're like a 10 year old in the playground who cant get their own
way and who dredges up all the insults and foul words they can think of to
vent their pent up anger.
So why not consider other peoples feelings and practice what you are
preaching, and consider peoples feelings in future.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Franz Heymann

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. com...

Rubbish.

I suppose we then also ought not to talk about boerewors either
Or murphies
Or sauerkraut
Or a Hottentotsgod (Praying mantis)
Or Boesmanboude (Gibbaeum sp., esp nebrownii)
And the Kaffir beer brewed by my father was a superb drink.
Or Frogs legs
Stuff political correctness and replace it by intelligent
understanding and respect

Franz

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Franz Heymann

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. com...
The last paragraph of my posting is the one that should be most

relevant to
you in particular, David.

"Maybe the only way to get the message across is by refusing to deal

with
those nurseries who perpetuate hateful names of plants and not

buying the
garden books that do the same? Its a new millennium and its about

time
everyone finally got with the program."

Balderdash and cease top posting if you insist on being considerate.

Franz

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message ...
The message
from "David Hill" contains

these
words:

[...]

The OP's been in my killfile for a long time so I don't see his

posts.

'Kaffir' is a perfectly proper name for several indiginous tribes of
South Africa (inc the Xhosa) and just because the word is abused by

some
as a blanket term of contempt for any black African it doesn't make
'Kaffir' an offensive word per se. It reflects on the misusers, not

on
the perceived target, just the same as other abusers of
nationalities/communities/ethnic groups such as Jew, Arab, Bohemian,
French (screwdriver), Dutch (courage) don't make the use of these
nationalities offensive.

It's the intent behind the use of a word which is important, not its
political correctness to well-meaning fools.

If a 'Kaffir lily' were the name for something obnoxious, I would

agree
that it was an offensive name. Since it isn't, I can only assume

that
the OP is trolling as usual.

Thanks for injecting some good sense into this thread.

Franz

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message ...
The message
from "David Hill" contains

these
words:

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
paghat

In article , "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

My personal bugbear is the use of 'coloured' as an p.c. alternative to
'black'. Coloured is a blanket term for anyone who isn't white so its
labelling someone by what they're not. If I was black I'd rather be called
black than 'not white'.

I disagree it is worthy of being anyone's bugbear, but the use of
"colored" is a good example of why one shouldn't attempt a universal PC
language that attempts to ban or promote words on the basis of how they
are used on completely different continents. In many parts of the world
"coloured" actually means mixed race, & would exclude black per se;
elsewhere it means East Indians as distinct from black or white; but in
the US it is an old-fashioned word which was once the "correct" term of
alleged politeness -- but which black folk pretty jettisoned decades ago
in favor of Black or African American, though the NAACP was sort of stuck
with it by then. If there are black folk on another continent who would
today LIKE to be called "coloured" I never heard about that, but it's an
old Dick Gregory joke that white people should be called the Colorlesses.

In any case, Colored means totally different things in different
countries, just as kaffir means a beautiful flower to American gardeners,
no matter how it would be used by some dumbass ugly Dutch *******s
rejected by their own actual homeland as just too skanky. Isn't it nice
that honkys care enough to even think about it though.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
paghat

In article , "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. com...

Rubbish.

I suppose we then also ought not to talk about boerewors either
Or murphies
Or sauerkraut
Or a Hottentotsgod (Praying mantis)
Or Boesmanboude (Gibbaeum sp., esp nebrownii)
And the Kaffir beer brewed by my father was a superb drink.
Or Frogs legs
Stuff political correctness and replace it by intelligent
understanding and respect

Franz

I've heard "Franz" used as an insult against Germans. "Saluted your furer
lately, FRAAAANZ?" Only by illiterate dirtbags who never heard of Kafka of
course. Still, just to be on the safe side so everyone is nice & polite, I
vote we ban the name Franz.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:17:23 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:
Maybe the only way to get the message across is by refusing to deal with
those nurseries who perpetuate hateful names of plants and not buying the
garden books that do the same? Its a new millennium and its about time
everyone finally got with the program.

Who's program, yours? Will you sit on the tribunal that passes
judgement on all others? Will you be the one that decides what is
hateful and what isn't? Not it I can help it.

Swyck
Old 06-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Franz Heymann

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
In article , Darren
Garrison wrote:

So, I'm assuming that you insist that people not use the word

"cretin" to
describe an idiot because
it is an insult to people from Crete, not use "vandal" to describe

someone
who damages property
because it might offend descendants of the Vandal people?

And "bugger" derives from the word from Bulgarian (it really does)

I was so sceptical that I cracked my OED. Bugger me, you are right.

Franz

:L

--
Remover the rock from the email address

Old 06-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Mary Fisher

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Hurrah!

Mary

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Mary Fisher

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

dumbass ugly Dutch *******s

Oh come on!

Old 06-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

dumbass ugly Dutch *******s

Oh come on!

Be careful - Martin Sykes wasn't involved. Anyway, "kaffir" in
Africa was never as offensive a word as it is made out to be by
the Politically Correct in Europe. Its origin is Arabic, by way
of Swahili, and simply means "unbeliever", though it was used to
mean "the blacks" by "the whites". Strictly, both are kaffirs.

Anyway, if you want to wind up the more informed of the Politically
Correct, use the term "munt" - they will go through the roof. But
all it means is "man" in a generic Bantu language. Ch'bemba, the
Bemba language, M'Bemba, a Bemba person.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sunburn [was Clivia/Kaffir Lily] Nick Maclaren Plant Science 5 15-07-2004 08:47 PM
Sunburn [was Clivia/Kaffir Lily] Janet Baraclough.. United Kingdom 11 15-07-2004 01:42 PM
Kaffir Lily is an offensive name Cereus-validus Gardening 147 12-04-2004 07:03 PM
Kaffir Lily David Hill Gardening 0 06-04-2004 08:43 PM
Kaffir Lily David Hill Gardening 0 06-04-2004 08:17 PM