Old 09-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Jane Ransom

Default Garden Lighting

In article , Jim Voege
writes

You folks in the UK should understand that you live quite a bit further
north than most North Americans and during the summer it stays light longer.
In many places in August, for example, after you get home from work, have
dinner etc, you're running out of light.

So why did you post your post to a uk group?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Warren

Bella wrote:

There is no such thing as too cold to BBQ...

But who wants to stand over a hot fire on a cold day?

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

Old 09-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Jim Voege

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Jim Voege
writes

You folks in the UK should understand that you live quite a bit further
north than most North Americans and during the summer it stays light

longer.
In many places in August, for example, after you get home from work, have
dinner etc, you're running out of light.

So why did you post your post to a uk group?

Actually, I'm at rec.gardens and when I replied to the original post at the
beginning of the thread I hadn't noticed that it was posted to both groups.

Jim

Old 09-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Mrs. Fricker

"JennyC" wrote:
Yeah but by the time the weather is conducive to BbQing its light until very
late and a few candles are far more romantic

"Bella" wrote:
There is no such thing as too cold to BBQ...

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote:
Wow!
I can save a fortune on charcoal and firelighters if that's true!

We still use a fire, but we brush the ice and snow off the grill before
we start. Sometimes we take the food indoors to eat, unless we have a
neighbor that gets up tight about outdoor light. Then we brush the ice
and snow off the picnic table and eat there so we don't have the indoor
lights shining out the windows of the house upsetting our neighbor.
Sometimes we even take the Scouts camping in the middle of winter and
eat and sleep under the stars.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:35 PM
David Hill

"..... But who wants to stand over a hot fire on a cold day?....."

Some people like toasted nuts.....

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Jim Voege
writes
So why did you post your post to a uk group?

Actually, I'm at rec.gardens and when I replied to the original post at the
beginning of the thread I hadn't noticed that it was posted to both groups.

I also have to confess . . . I didn't notice the cross post either ))
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Jim Voege

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Jim Voege
writes
So why did you post your post to a uk group?

Actually, I'm at rec.gardens and when I replied to the original post at

the
beginning of the thread I hadn't noticed that it was posted to both

groups.

I also have to confess . . . I didn't notice the cross post either ))
--

Hehe. I guess in mid-summer you guys have to stay up pretty late to enjoy
those stars.

Jim

Old 09-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Jim Voege
writes

Hehe. I guess in mid-summer you guys have to stay up pretty late to enjoy
those stars.

In Scotland you hardly have time at all
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Bella" contains these words:

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message

BTW in the uk when the temperature reaches a sufficient level to have a
bbq outside, it stays light until it is too cool to be outside any
more!!!

There is no such thing as too cold to BBQ...

I suspect you haven't been to Scotland in summer.

I love a winter picnic in snow round a large fire on which we cook.
However a cool damp still summer day/night barbecue when midges are
active, the air reeks of toxic midge repellents, and putting on your
fleece jacket/midge net hat makes the host go all huffy and sniffy, is
my idea of hell :-(

Janet
Old 09-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"..... But who wants to stand over a hot fire on a cold day?....."

Some people like toasted nuts.....

Some people are toasted nuts....

Janet

Old 10-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Jim Voege

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Jim Voege
writes

Hehe. I guess in mid-summer you guys have to stay up pretty late to

enjoy
those stars.

In Scotland you hardly have time at all

Hehe. I know what you mean. Some of my countrymen who live way, way up
have literally no time at all.

Interesting growing season up there. So short. But so intense.

Jim

Old 13-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Ben Blackmore

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...

Look, I'm really sorry to rain on anyone's parade but perhaps you might

ask
yourselves if you really *want* garden lighting?

Yes!

Why? What will you do with
it?

Have trendy garden parties at night with all our friends!

Will you actually sit at the window and turn off the telly and look out
at our night-illuminated garden?

Maybe if it looks nice

This country has (IIRC) the highest light pollution in the world
proportionately speaking. I can understand garden lighting when you're
using a deck or terrace for a party but to light plants at night? WHY?
Can't you look at them in the day time?
If you live in the boondocks and need to light the path to the house -

maybe
install something that comes on as you approach it and goes off rapidly as
you enter the house.
So - FWIW, you may want to consider less light pollution and more sitting
outside in the soft darkness of a summer's night looking at the *stars*
which will not have been blanked out by a something-or-other lighting your
Skimmia or bamboo and all those of all your neighbours. Just a teensy
thought....

Doesn't really matter to me, we live in a town, we have street lights
already, I don't think 5 or 6 low voltage lights are going to harm anyone!

A newcomer to this village tried to get street lighting installed once -

not
a shrewd move. I think he moved quite soon after that. ;-)

Good on him for trying. Last area I lived in had street lights installed and
burglary, assult and car theft fell by over 75%! To many people are stuck in
the *dark ages* on things like this, only seeing the negatives, and not the
benefits! Would you rather see the stars, or be safe walking at nights!
Sure, it would be great to be able to do both, but thats not the world we
live in is it!

On many winter and summer nights we go outside to look at the stars and

even
with the very faint loom of Torquay some miles away we can actually *see*
them. It's another world, a magic, a revelation. And all our plants are
still there next morning, in the *day*light.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Ben
Swindon

Old 13-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Ben Blackmore

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news

Apparently you aren't familiar with the tradition of barbecue (bar-BQ).
It is where you cook outdoors on a grill (charcoal or propane) and eat
outdoors. If the host has a nice garden, the bar-BQ may be held in or
next to the garden. If the function lasts after sundown, outdoor
lighting is needed. Frequently it includes tiki torches with citronella
laced fuel to keep the insects down.

Indeedy! I want to throw trendy parties with our friends, BBQ, cocktails
etc. Its my fiancee 21st soon, and I plan to have the garden sorted so we
can have a big bash for her!

Ben

FS: Garden Lighting Dean Lawns 1 30-04-2011 08:21 PM
Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
Garden Lighting by Design Matt Cody United Kingdom 55 20-11-2002 05:46 PM