Old 06-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Ben Blackmore

Default Garden Lighting

Hi,

I'm looking for some garden lighting, I like the look of those small rock
lights, as they can be hidden amongst the flowers, however they are only
12v, and can only be placed 3-4m from the transformer, and you can't daisy
chain them together.

I think I need something higher voltage, maybe just standard 240v with no
transformer. A set of 5 or 6 smallish ground lights, that can be daisy
chained around the garden (20m). It would also be good if it was possible to
install multi coloured bulbs as well, (as the rock lights only support 10w
halogen, and coloured halogen are 30w).

Anyone know of anything simular to this?

Cheers

Ben

Old 07-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Jim Voege

"Ben Blackmore" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I'm looking for some garden lighting, I like the look of those small rock
lights, as they can be hidden amongst the flowers, however they are only
12v, and can only be placed 3-4m from the transformer, and you can't daisy
chain them together.

I think I need something higher voltage, maybe just standard 240v with no
transformer. A set of 5 or 6 smallish ground lights, that can be daisy
chained around the garden (20m). It would also be good if it was possible

install multi coloured bulbs as well, (as the rock lights only support 10w
halogen, and coloured halogen are 30w).

Anyone know of anything simular to this?

Ben,

Low voltage lighting can certainly be strung out further than that. At our
previous home I had 8 lights (2 strings) daisy chained and extending at
least 20 meters. A standard (at least here in Toronto) Noma product. No
problem. The transformer was stock too -- straight out of the box.

If the look of the lighter-weight low voltage stuff suits you, it is
certainly the way to go. Completely DYI and very little hassle. Its
sometimes a little fiddley to ensure good contact at the lights and
connections but aside from that it's dead easy. Relatively inexpensive too.

Jim

Old 08-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Babberney

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:00:27 +0100, "Ben Blackmore"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for some garden lighting, I like the look of those small rock
lights, as they can be hidden amongst the flowers, however they are only
12v, and can only be placed 3-4m from the transformer, and you can't daisy
chain them together.

I think I need something higher voltage, maybe just standard 240v with no
transformer. A set of 5 or 6 smallish ground lights, that can be daisy
chained around the garden (20m). It would also be good if it was possible to
install multi coloured bulbs as well, (as the rock lights only support 10w
halogen, and coloured halogen are 30w).

Anyone know of anything simular to this?

Cheers

Ben

I agree with Jim. if you get the right transformer, you can have a
nice array of lights in series over a much greater distance than you
have suggested. You might have to look beyond the home despot for
pro-quality stuff (or maybe not--I haven't messed with the stuff they
have, since it always seems to be broken when I see it at others'
houses), but you can do it. I've had good success with Vista brand
products (I have no connection with them other than being a customer).

I think using AC to run garden lights is a waste of juice, an eyesore,
a maintenance nightmare, and a safety risk. 12V is safe, easy,
unobtrusive, and efficient. I also prefer the spotlight/ambient light
effect more than the floods you usually see in AC systems, but that's
me.

good luck,
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/
Old 08-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Sacha

Babberney8/4/04 3:30

wrote:

[...]

Look, I'm really sorry to rain on anyone's parade but perhaps you might ask
yourselves if you really *want* garden lighting? Why? What will you do with
it? Will you actually sit at the window and turn off the telly and look out
at our night-illuminated garden?
This country has (IIRC) the highest light pollution in the world
proportionately speaking. I can understand garden lighting when you're
using a deck or terrace for a party but to light plants at night? WHY?
Can't you look at them in the day time?
If you live in the boondocks and need to light the path to the house - maybe
install something that comes on as you approach it and goes off rapidly as
you enter the house.
So - FWIW, you may want to consider less light pollution and more sitting
outside in the soft darkness of a summer's night looking at the *stars*
which will not have been blanked out by a something-or-other lighting your
Skimmia or bamboo and all those of all your neighbours. Just a teensy
thought....
A newcomer to this village tried to get street lighting installed once - not
a shrewd move. I think he moved quite soon after that. ;-)
On many winter and summer nights we go outside to look at the stars and even
with the very faint loom of Torquay some miles away we can actually *see*
them. It's another world, a magic, a revelation. And all our plants are
still there next morning, in the *day*light.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Broadback

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Oh how I agree, the usual argument for excessive lighting is it reduces
crime rate. How is that so, when I was young just after WW2 in Somerset
my parents home looked out from the Mendips over the Somerset levels,
the only light was looking up. Now it is all that awful yellow, and
crime, reduced? I think not!
--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Sacha wrote:

Look, I'm really sorry to rain on anyone's parade but perhaps you might ask
yourselves if you really *want* garden lighting? Why? What will you do with
it? Will you actually sit at the window and turn off the telly and look out
at our night-illuminated garden?

Apparently you aren't familiar with the tradition of barbecue (bar-BQ).
It is where you cook outdoors on a grill (charcoal or propane) and eat
outdoors. If the host has a nice garden, the bar-BQ may be held in or
next to the garden. If the function lasts after sundown, outdoor
lighting is needed. Frequently it includes tiki torches with citronella
laced fuel to keep the insects down.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 08-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Jim Voege

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Babberney8/4/04 3:30

wrote:

[...]

Sure. Had it at the old house. Loved it. Gonna put some in here too.

Why?

For the same reason that people grow ornamental plants. For the enjoyment
of the view.

What will you do with
it?

Enhance the appearance of the garden at night.

Will you actually sit at the window and turn off the telly and look out
at our night-illuminated garden?

No. I shall grab a beer, sit on the patio and enjoy the thing. Done well
the whole thing is quite magical.

This country has (IIRC) the highest light pollution in the world
proportionately speaking.

Sorry, hadn't noticed that the original message had been posted to the UK
group.

I can understand garden lighting when you're
using a deck or terrace for a party but to light plants at night? WHY?
Can't you look at them in the day time?

I don't know about other people but the day time is when I work in the
garden. Who can sit still during the day? There is always something that
needs doing.

If you live in the boondocks and need to light the path to the house -

maybe
install something that comes on as you approach it and goes off rapidly as
you enter the house.
So - FWIW, you may want to consider less light pollution and more sitting
outside in the soft darkness of a summer's night looking at the *stars*
which will not have been blanked out by a something-or-other lighting your
Skimmia or bamboo and all those of all your neighbours. Just a teensy
thought....

Please. A string of low voltage lighting typically casts the same amount of
total light as a single 40 watt lightbulb. We are, after all, talking about
little 4 and 8 watt bulbs. So tell me, do you make a habit of drawing
blackout curtains on your windows when you have the lights on in the house?
You should if you're concerned about light pollution since your unshielded
indoor lighting causes a great deal more of it than low voltage outdoor
lighting.

A newcomer to this village tried to get street lighting installed once -

not
a shrewd move. I think he moved quite soon after that. ;-)
On many winter and summer nights we go outside to look at the stars and

even
with the very faint loom of Torquay some miles away we can actually *see*
them.

Different strokes ...

It's another world, a magic, a revelation. And all our plants are
still there next morning, in the *day*light.

Different preferences in "magic" ...

Jim

Old 09-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Sacha

Stephen M. Henning8/4/04 8:41

Sacha wrote:

Look, I'm really sorry to rain on anyone's parade but perhaps you might ask
yourselves if you really *want* garden lighting? Why? What will you do with
it? Will you actually sit at the window and turn off the telly and look out
at our night-illuminated garden?

Apparently you aren't familiar with the tradition of barbecue (bar-BQ).
It is where you cook outdoors on a grill (charcoal or propane) and eat
outdoors. If the host has a nice garden, the bar-BQ may be held in or
next to the garden. If the function lasts after sundown, outdoor
lighting is needed. Frequently it includes tiki torches with citronella
laced fuel to keep the insects down.

Ah. Now this may be because me and mine have a mutual view on barbecues -
poor food, badly cooked, for the most part. We prefer to cook the food
indoors, carry it into the garden and sit there as the daylight fades,
watching the stars 'come out' and the bats flying around, listening to the
Little Owls calling etc. You don't get a lot of that with artificial
garden lighting..... OTOH, each to their own which is why my original post
did say something about entertaining on a deck or terrace and understanding
that lighting might be needed for that. I am querying whether individual
trees and shrubs, bits of the garden, etc. need to be lit up at night, every
night, for, what - exactly .........?
How many people that do this turn off the lights inside their houses and sit
at a window, gazing out into their spasmodically illuminated garden?
Try letting gardens be lit by moonlight is my suggestion and if there's no
moon, wait for the next one. Just another pov.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 09-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Jane Ransom

In article ,
Stephen M. Henning writes
Sacha wrote:

Look, I'm really sorry to rain on anyone's parade but perhaps you might ask
yourselves if you really *want* garden lighting? Why? What will you do with
it? Will you actually sit at the window and turn off the telly and look out
at our night-illuminated garden?

Apparently you aren't familiar with the tradition of barbecue (bar-BQ).
It is where you cook outdoors on a grill (charcoal or propane) and eat
outdoors. If the host has a nice garden, the bar-BQ may be held in or
next to the garden. If the function lasts after sundown, outdoor
lighting is needed. Frequently it includes tiki torches with citronella
laced fuel to keep the insects down.

Poor old mother earth.

The unnatural light in the garden scares off all those nocturnal
creatures that don't like light . . .

.. . . you kill the insects so the animals that feed off the insects all
die; then all the animals that feed off the animals that eat the insects
all die . . .

.. . . and you would rather look at artificial light than the stars . . .

poor old mother earth (((((((((((

BTW in the uk when the temperature reaches a sufficient level to have a
bbq outside, it stays light until it is too cool to be outside any
more!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 09-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Jim Voege

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article ,
Stephen M. Henning writes
Sacha wrote:

[...]

You folks in the UK should understand that you live quite a bit further
north than most North Americans and during the summer it stays light longer.
In many places in August, for example, after you get home from work, have
dinner etc, you're running out of light.

Jim

Old 09-04-2004, 08:34 AM
JennyC

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news
Sacha wrote:

Look, I'm really sorry to rain on anyone's parade but perhaps you might ask
yourselves if you really *want* garden lighting? Why? What will you do with
it? Will you actually sit at the window and turn off the telly and look out
at our night-illuminated garden?

Apparently you aren't familiar with the tradition of barbecue (bar-BQ).
It is where you cook outdoors on a grill (charcoal or propane) and eat
outdoors. If the host has a nice garden, the bar-BQ may be held in or
next to the garden. If the function lasts after sundown, outdoor
lighting is needed. Frequently it includes tiki torches with citronella
laced fuel to keep the insects down.

Yeah but by the time the weather is conducive to BbQing its light until very
late and a few candles are far more romantic :~))

Jenny

Old 09-04-2004, 09:04 AM
Bella

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message

BTW in the uk when the temperature reaches a sufficient level to have a
bbq outside, it stays light until it is too cool to be outside any
more!!!

There is no such thing as too cold to BBQ...
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 09-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Bella" wrote in message

There is no such thing as too cold to BBQ...

Wow!
I can save a fortune on charcoal and firelighters if that's true!

FS: Garden Lighting Dean Lawns 1 30-04-2011 09:21 PM
Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 07:32 AM
Garden Lighting by Design Matt Cody United Kingdom 55 20-11-2002 06:46 PM