Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM

Default Christmas Cactus in bloom.

My mother in law has a Christmas Cactus in full bloom.
It flowered really well at Christmas and it is even better now. What has she
done wrong/right.?
Tom Atkinson

Old 06-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Dcjtee

My mother in law has a Christmas Cactus in full bloom.

Maybe it's an Easter cactus?

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

Old 06-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Bob Hobden

"Buzzy Bee" wrote in message :

My mother in law has a Christmas Cactus in full bloom.

Maybe it's an Easter cactus?

I've never been able to tell the difference!

The Easter Cactus has flowers that open wide, almost daisy like, whereas the
Christmas Cactus has flowers rather tube like.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 07-04-2004, 09:04 AM
Kase

wrote in message
My mother in law has a Christmas Cactus in full bloom.
It flowered really well at Christmas and it is even better now. What has

she
done wrong/right.?
Tom Atkinson

I have a bunch of Christmas cacti, all different colours and they all flower
in November/December, and then again in March/April/May depending on the
weather (and therefore the light conditions). The only things that I do are
feed regularly when the plant starts to bud, and then I stop watering when
the flowers start to fade until the last one has fallen off. Then back to
normal watering with an occasional feed. So I get two flowering seasons and
then there is a leaf producing season in the other 'third' of the year
(summer). The old way of treating these plants was to starve them of food
and water for most of the year, which seems wrong to me as I think that they
are epiphytes (not cactus) and would have plenty of water in the tree
canopies.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:04 AM
Mark Warren

wrote in message
My mother in law has a Christmas Cactus in full bloom.
It flowered really well at Christmas and it is even better now. What has

she
done wrong/right.?

I don't know, but the one in my kitchen is doing exactly the same. The one
upstairs seems to be more sensible and only flowered around Christmas.

Mark