Old 07-04-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Are there any UK Plant Exchange sites that anyone knows of?

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any sites where people can exchange
plants?
I did stumble on one that looked good although it was for amaricans
only.

I'm quite new to gardening (this is my first house that has had a
garden) and I am in need of some taller plants and trees but they seem
very expensive from garden centres.

I have a greenhouse and have bought a few different types of seeds but
i was looking for tree and shrub type plants.

Does anyone know of any sites?

Thank you

Old 07-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Sacha

7/4/04 7:42

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any sites where people can exchange
plants?
I did stumble on one that looked good although it was for amaricans
only.

I'm quite new to gardening (this is my first house that has had a
garden) and I am in need of some taller plants and trees but they seem
very expensive from garden centres.

I have a greenhouse and have bought a few different types of seeds but
i was looking for tree and shrub type plants.

Does anyone know of any sites?

Thank you

Where do you live? I will declare a bias here and now and suggest (as a
nurseryman's wife) that you look for genuine nurseries, small, family run,
rather than large garden centres which have large overheads and have to
charge larger prices, in the main. I think that if you're lucky enough to
live within striking distance of a real nursery, you'll see a huge price
difference.
And you can ask for plants and trees or garden vouchers for birthdays,
Christmas etc. presents. More 'and' - bear in mind that whatever you buy
will grow, even if it's a titchy thing now. Some will take longer than
others, of course but they all get there in the end. Quite a lot of the fun
of gardening is planting something and waiting for it to start growing,
fruiting etc. We planted a mulberry tree when our grand daughter was born 3
years ago. It was around 3' when we planted it and is now over 6' - last
year it even had 3 or 4 fruits!
I hope very much that you enjoy your garden and I think you will - sounds
like you're off to a great start.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Jim W

wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any sites where people can exchange
plants?
I did stumble on one that looked good although it was for amaricans
only.

I'm quite new to gardening (this is my first house that has had a
garden) and I am in need of some taller plants and trees but they seem
very expensive from garden centres.

I have a greenhouse and have bought a few different types of seeds but
i was looking for tree and shrub type plants.

Does anyone know of any sites?

Don't know of any websites but I have swapped quite a few plants with
people on this group (URG) and also at URG 'meets' (where we meet up,
ususally at a members or garden of note)..

Does that help?

Jim

Old 08-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Tom

What do you mean by top post?

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 20:16:27 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

/4/04 8:17

I live near Leeds (Pudsey)

snip

Then I'm sure someone will direct you to a good source of plants there.
(Could you possibly NOT top-post, please. It's not logical!)

Old 09-04-2004, 07:33 AM
JennyC

wrote

Thinking on though I need to get some stuff to swap first as I doubt
very much that I have anything to offer others in the group at the
moment.

Once my seeds get going I may be able to offer others on the group
seedlings if anyone is interested. (cosmos, hollyhock, aster, )
I have a morillo cherry tree available for a swap if anyone is
interested.

Thanks for your assistance.

Most 'swap' groups don't seem to mind if you are a new gardener and take away
more than you bring at first. You can 'repay' later as your own garden gets more
established.

Most gardeners will only be to glad to give you loads of the most invasive
things in their gardens :~))

Jenny

Old 09-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Tom
writes
What do you mean by top post?

Posting your answer *before* the question rather than after it. ie at
the top rather than below.

The convention on this ng (as on many others) is to post the answer just
below the bit you're replying to, snipping (deleting) most of the
context. That means that when someone has posted with a lot of
questions, each answer is just below the relevant question.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Jim W

JennyC wrote:

wrote

Thinking on though I need to get some stuff to swap first as I doubt
very much that I have anything to offer others in the group at the
moment.

Once my seeds get going I may be able to offer others on the group
seedlings if anyone is interested. (cosmos, hollyhock, aster, ) I have a
morillo cherry tree available for a swap if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your assistance.

Most 'swap' groups don't seem to mind if you are a new gardener and take
away more than you bring at first. You can 'repay' later as your own
garden gets more established.

Most gardeners will only be to glad to give you loads of the most invasive
things in their gardens :~))

Jenny

LOL so true Jenny, but seriously, OP, if there is a 'meet' in your
area and you turn up you are likly to be offered plants

Jim
Old 09-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Jim W

wrote:

/4/04 8:17

I live near Leeds (Pudsey)

snip

Then I'm sure someone will direct you to a good source of plants there.
(Could you possibly NOT top-post, please. It's not logical!)

A: Its not logical

Q: Why should't I top post..

:-)

Jim
Old 09-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Tom

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:56:55 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Tom
writes
What do you mean by top post?

Posting your answer *before* the question rather than after it. ie at
the top rather than below.

Oh I see sorry about that.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Tom
writes
wrote:

In article , Tom
writes
What do you mean by top post?

Posting your answer *before* the question rather than after it. ie at
the top rather than below.

Oh I see sorry about that.

Don't worry. Welcome to the group! :-)

--