Old 08-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Andrew

Default Best way of painting fence panels ?

I have to paint/treat thirty 6x6 fence panels in situ and would
welcome any advice from the group on the easiest method of doing this
to get a good finish ...... brush , spray , roller etc.
I've used Cuprinol Ducks Back in the past which is good & covers well
but I think you have to use a brush which would be an extremely
labour intensive task.

Thanks fo any help.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:33 AM
N. van Burgsteden

I don't think a roller would do the job. Maybe you're right about the brush
and that would mean growing some muscle ;-)

Marco

Old 08-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Tumbleweed

"Andrew" wrote in message
I have to paint/treat thirty 6x6 fence panels in situ and would
welcome any advice from the group on the easiest method of doing this
to get a good finish ...... brush , spray , roller etc.
I've used Cuprinol Ducks Back in the past which is good & covers well
but I think you have to use a brush which would be an extremely
labour intensive task.

Thanks fo any help.

No contest, spray. Once you've used a spray you'll never go back, on
anything more than 2 or 3 panels. But you need to use something designed for
the task otherwise the nozzle will likely clog.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 08-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Sam

No contest, spray. Once you've used a spray you'll never go back, on
anything more than 2 or 3 panels. But you need to use something designed

for
the task otherwise the nozzle will likely clog.

Agreed on both points. I bought one few years back for about £50 from
Machine Mart. A breeze using spirit based preservative but absolutely
useless with waterbased stains or the emulsion that the instructions claimed
it could cope with. I know the price has dropped for these things perhaps
the quality has increased as well.

Sam

Old 08-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Andrew" wrote in message
I have to paint/treat thirty 6x6 fence panels in situ and would
welcome any advice from the group on the easiest method of doing this
to get a good finish ...... brush , spray , roller etc.
I've used Cuprinol Ducks Back in the past which is good & covers well
but I think you have to use a brush which would be an extremely
labour intensive task.

Ducks Back is available as Cuprinol Rollable in square tubs.
I treated ten 6x6 panels both sides using this - it took two tubs and it was
a soul-destroying nightmare.
Getting the stuff into corners and crevices still has to be done with a
brush.
Once the panels were installed the lapped areas moved in a gale and I had to
I've now done another five panels using brushable Ducks Back - which seems
to be the same product! I hired a spraygun to use with it, but it just kept
clogging up. So these five were done by brush, which used half as much again
as the roller (but at least it seeped under the overlap - so hopefully no
bikini line!)

If I were to do it again I would use a spirit-based treatment and an airless
spraygun. But now I'm stuck because I won't be able to match the colour.....

Old 09-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Andrew

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 09:13:02 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Thanks guys for replies...
It looks that spraying is the way to go. *Earlex* do an airless 100w
spraygun @ £50 which they say gets good results with * Ducksback*
Anyone had any experience with this model ?
Or can recommend alternative + best stuff to use etc.

Cheers

Painting Fence Panels Skinty United Kingdom 0 24-02-2008 02:57 AM
Painting Fence Jan United Kingdom 19 10-03-2004 04:21 AM
Painting Fence Jan United Kingdom 3 06-03-2004 09:47 PM
Painting Chain Link Fence AuralFeast Gardening 7 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
painting fence margaret Gardening 1 27-04-2003 05:44 AM