Old 09-04-2004, 08:06 PM
garden enthusiast

Default Soil warming cable query

I'm planning to make a propagation box using soil warming
cable to provide bottom heat to the cuttings. Trouble is,
I am unsure what type of product I need or where to source
from (none of the local DIY stores sell soil warming cable).

The propagation box would be around 3ft width, by 6ft length.
Wooden frame. Sharp sand inside. How much cable do I need
for this, and how closely do you fit it together ? Is a
thermostat strictly necessary ?

Roughly how much does it cost to run these things ?

I've tried searching kayshorticulture.com catalogue (after
reading recommendations in this newsgroup), but can't find
a listing for soil warming cable.

Thanks !

Old 09-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Mike

How about

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/P...iProductID=320

for starters?

Mike

--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th

Old 09-04-2004, 10:32 PM
David Hill

You need to look more carefully..........
http://www.kayshorticulture.com/cat2frame.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-04-2004, 10:32 PM
David Hill

Sory link only to catalogue, here is relivant section from near the end of
catalogue 1.

SOIL WARMING CABLES - make your own Propagator or Hot Bench
RRP Our Price
3M 50w Soil Warming Cable 21.25 15.99
6M 75w Soil Warming Cable 28.50 21.50
12M 150w Soil Warming Cable 38.05 29.99
24M 300w Soil Warming Cable 53.50 41.99
48M 600w Soil Warming Cable 97.99 92.99
Thermostat for Soil Warming Cable 32.99 24.50

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries