GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting distances for strawbs, gooseberries? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/58582-planting-distances-strawbs-gooseberries.html)

MallowKat 10-04-2004 11:03 AM

Planting distances for strawbs, gooseberries?

Can anyone tell me what distance I need to leave around each plant when I put
in my strawberries, gooseberry (careless), raspberries (autumn bliss) and
redcurrent (not yet puchased)? Many thanks

jo 10-04-2004 01:03 PM

Planting distances for strawbs, gooseberries?

strawberries about 18inches apart
gooseberry 3-4ft remembering you have to get in between them to prune and
they're spikey!
raspberries 12-18 inches in lines
redcurrant about 3ft apart
hope this helps!
glenn

Rod 10-04-2004 02:05 PM

Planting distances for strawbs, gooseberries?

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:01:45 +0000 (UTC), "jo"
wrote:

strawberries about 18inches apart
gooseberry 3-4ft remembering you have to get in between them to prune and
they're spikey!
raspberries 12-18 inches in lines
redcurrant about 3ft apart
hope this helps!
glenn

Or if you're pushed for space/want to get in a bigger range of
varieties, then Redcurrants and Gooseberries can be grown as cordons
spaced 15-18inches apart in the row for single cordons.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply

MallowKat 10-04-2004 04:04 PM

Planting distances for strawbs, gooseberries?

Thank you very much, Glenn and Rod. But, I forgot to add rhubarb to the list!
How much space does it need? Thanks

jo 10-04-2004 07:34 PM

Planting distances for strawbs, gooseberries?

about two and a half feet

Kay Easton 10-04-2004 07:35 PM

Planting distances for strawbs, gooseberries?

In article , MallowKat
writes
Thank you very much, Glenn and Rod. But, I forgot to add rhubarb to the list!
How much space does it need? Thanks

One plant will cover a 6ft but 6ft square.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

andrewpreece 10-04-2004 09:34 PM

Planting distances for strawbs, gooseberries?

"jo" wrote in message
about two and a half feet

"MallowKat" wrote in message
Thank you very much, Glenn and Rod. But, I forgot to add rhubarb to the

list!
How much space does it need? Thanks

I inherited redcurrants growing close together, some 18", but in a line, and
they crop profusely, so this backs up the cordon info.

Andy.

MallowKat 10-04-2004 10:25 PM

Planting distances for strawbs, gooseberries?

One plant will cover a 6ft but 6ft square.
--

Oh my goodness; I won't have any garden left at this rate!

Kay Easton 10-04-2004 10:36 PM

Planting distances for strawbs, gooseberries?

In article , MallowKat
writes
One plant will cover a 6ft but 6ft square.
--

Oh my goodness; I won't have any garden left at this rate!

Join the club! ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: