GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Volume of brown wheelie bins? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/58586-volume-brown-wheelie-bins.html)

David W.E. Roberts 10-04-2004 01:03 PM

Volume of brown wheelie bins?

Hi,

I am considering the offer of compost bins from the local council - 330l for
£16-00 (£4 delivery charge) and am trying to calculate:

(a) how many I would need to process lawn mowings
(b) would I have room for them :-)

I know that one mowing from the lawn will fill the brown wheelie bin from
the council.
[As this is only emptied once every two weeks this is not a solution for
recycling grass during spring and summer.]

So if I knew how much a brown wheelie bin held I could calculate how long it
would take to fill a compost bin.

I realise that once composting starts and some of the moisture and air gap
is lost then the volume will reduce, but this will take a little time and I
will probably be mowing at least once a week for the next few months.

I have tried to Google the answer, but no luck.

The bin itself has all sorts of markings, including a decibel rating (!) but
AFAIKS no volume.

TIA
Dave R

MrCheerful 10-04-2004 02:06 PM

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

The green wheelie bins we have come in three capacities:
120 litre small for oaps
240 litre Normal household type
360 litre 5 person plus household

HTH
MrCheerful

JennyC 10-04-2004 02:06 PM

[...]

Ask the Council ?
Jenny

[email protected] 10-04-2004 08:13 PM

Volume of brown wheelie bins?

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:44:46 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

[...]

Our council give them out for free, or, I should say they used to as
we have had ours a very long time. It works great. Its green and
shaped like a Dalek. But, through their recycling effort we now hasve
a back garden full of their bins and bags. Black-general rubbish,
green-garden rubbish not suitable for wormery, black box-bottles, tins
and plastic and green bags for paper. I think we are the only ones in
the cul-de-sac who use them all. Must say though that it must be very
hard for little old ladies (I'm a tall old lady) to be lugging these
containers around every week. Diana

David W.E. Roberts 11-04-2004 05:03 PM

"MrCheerful" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

I am considering the offer of compost bins from the local council - 330l

for
£16-00 (£4 delivery charge) and am trying to calculate:

(a) how many I would need to process lawn mowings
(b) would I have room for them :-)

I know that one mowing from the lawn will fill the brown wheelie bin

from
the council.

snip
The green wheelie bins we have come in three capacities:
120 litre small for oaps
240 litre Normal household type
360 litre 5 person plus household

Thanks for that - I didn't fancy trying to find the right person in the
local council who could answer the question :-)

If a 'normal' bin is 240 litres, then one lawn mowing would fill 2/3 of the
bin.
2 bins would be filled in 3-4 weeks.
Sounds as though I would need 3 or 4 bins to stand a chance of processing
all the lawn mowings (plus other sundry trimmings, weeds etc.).
I think I will have to cost out building my own (large) compost heap holder.

Cheers
Dave R

shazzbat 12-04-2004 04:33 PM

[...]

Post the internal dimensions of the wheely bin and I'll tell you the volume.

Steve

david taylor 15-04-2004 12:04 PM

Volume of brown wheelie bins?

Volume calculations aside a closed bin is not really a very good composting
space. Grass will turn into a horribly sour mess, and would need to be
turned and aerated.
The mass of grass will loose volume very quickly in the summer maybe down to
1/3rd of the original in a month. I know my compost its lose about 2/3
volume over a season.