Old 10-04-2004, 05:41 PM
FF

Default Onions

Hi there,

I planted a couple of small rows of red onion sets last autumn. I think they were
called "Electric". They're now about 16" tall and drying out at the tips. Does that
mean they're nearly ready yet? They came in a plastic bag from a local petshop! so I
have no instructions & this is the first time I've grown onions.

Short of digging one up, how do I tell if they're ready?

thanks,

Liz
Old 10-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Bob Hobden

Liz wrote in message
I planted a couple of small rows of red onion sets last autumn. I think

they were
called "Electric". They're now about 16" tall and drying out at the tips.

Does that
mean they're nearly ready yet? They came in a plastic bag from a local

petshop! so I
have no instructions & this is the first time I've grown onions.

Short of digging one up, how do I tell if they're ready?

No Liz, they are not ready yet. Mine do that sometimes too. Should be ready
about mid June and then the tops will all flop over at the bulb neck and you
should see the large bulbs in the ground as they push themselves up. Make
sure they are very dry before storing, but autumn planted ones don't store
for too long anyway.
If the bulbs are big enough you can pull some up beforehand to use in the
kitchen.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 11-04-2004, 11:05 PM
FF

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 18:17:55 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Liz wrote in message
[...]

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know:-)

Liz