Old 10-04-2004, 10:25 PM
ajr

Default Slugs?

Good evening,

Bit puzzled by this!

Something is eating my rhubarb and broad beans - I assumed that it was slugs
(and/or snails) as small holes have been eaten out of the leaves. However
whatever is responsible, are not eating the potatoes, and as I mentioned the
holes are small - last time that I had a problem with slugs they ate
everything.

Last week I placed a number of 'beer traps' and pellets around the gardens,
however I have only trapped ONE slug!! I even got off the sofa last night
and had a look around the garden with a torch - no sign of any slugs!

Is it possible that some other pest is responsible?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 11-04-2004, 06:34 AM
Alan Gould

In article , ajr
writes
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

We've had more than usual activity this year with pigeons attacking
mainly young brassica leaves. For that problem I erect 'one-minute-
scarecrows'. I grab a colourful empty 80 litre plastic bag, an 8ft.
runner bean pole and a flower pot. I push the pole into the ground near
to the targeted plants, turn the flower pot over onto the top of the
pole, then drape the bag cornerwise over that. Any slightest breeze sets
up motion and sound sufficient to convince even pigeons to go elsewhere.
The job takes less time to do than to describe - i.e. one minute or so.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:04 AM
david taylor

Pigeons don't like bags etc mounted above ground as described. Partridges
certainly ignore them as do rabbits.
Last year I recommended ld CDs as a deterrent to keep pigeons off young
plants.They work when the garden is bare but they were ineffective near tall
overwintering brasiccas.
As for slugs the small ones that infest strawberries and potatoes are the
most difficult to deal with-and make me think of biological control,
although it is only advertised to last for 6 weeks.
"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , ajr
writes

Old 11-04-2004, 02:03 PM
ajr

"david taylor" wrote in message
Pigeons don't like bags etc mounted above ground as described. Partridges
certainly ignore them as do rabbits.
Last year I recommended ld CDs as a deterrent to keep pigeons off young
plants.They work when the garden is bare but they were ineffective near

tall
overwintering brasiccas.
As for slugs the small ones that infest strawberries and potatoes are the
most difficult to deal with-and make me think of biological control,
although it is only advertised to last for 6 weeks.
"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , ajr
writes
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

We've had more than usual activity this year with pigeons attacking
mainly young brassica leaves. For that problem I erect 'one-minute-
scarecrows'. I grab a colourful empty 80 litre plastic bag, an 8ft.
runner bean pole and a flower pot. I push the pole into the ground near
to the targeted plants, turn the flower pot over onto the top of the
pole, then drape the bag cornerwise over that. Any slightest breeze sets
up motion and sound sufficient to convince even pigeons to go elsewhere.
The job takes less time to do than to describe - i.e. one minute or so.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan / David,

I hadn't thought of pigeons - being in the centre of a town they haven't
been a problem before. However there are definately more wood pigeons and
collared doves about this year - I will place a couple of
'one-minute-scarecrows' in the garden tomorrow.

Still a bit puzzled though - I would assume that they would eat the entire
plant, and not peck small areas of the leaves.

One other thing - David, what are you referring to when you mention a
'biological control'?

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 11-04-2004, 07:34 PM
david taylor

Look up www.greengardener.co.uk/slug.htm they give details and prices for
water on nematodes. The economics are borderline for strawberries-most
gardening things are anyway.
The fact that the nematode infestation is of limited duration is reassuring
as it won't upset the long term ecological balance if I treat a small patch.
Regards
David T
"ajr" wrote in message

"david taylor" wrote in message
Pigeons don't like bags etc mounted above ground as described.

Partridges
certainly ignore them as do rabbits.
Last year I recommended ld CDs as a deterrent to keep pigeons off young
plants.They work when the garden is bare but they were ineffective near

tall
overwintering brasiccas.
As for slugs the small ones that infest strawberries and potatoes are

the
most difficult to deal with-and make me think of biological control,
although it is only advertised to last for 6 weeks.
"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , ajr
writes