Old 11-04-2004, 02:05 PM
al

Default Plants that cats don't like ...?

Not wanting to start the whole pro/anti-cat war again, but could someone
point me in the right direction for a plant that discourages cats? I
believe such a thing is reasonably readily available in garden centres and
that cats can't stand the smell?

Old 11-04-2004, 09:04 PM
al

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
Marigolds and flowering tobacco are two.

Really? I'd heard that sprinkling tobacco ash on the beds helped, but as I
don't smoke that isn't much use! What's with the above two? Didn't think
marigolds gave off any sort of repellent smell? Don't know what flowering
tobacco is ... will go Google pic it

Old 11-04-2004, 09:05 PM
al

"al" wrote in message
Really? I'd heard that sprinkling tobacco ash on the beds helped, but as

don't smoke that isn't much use! What's with the above two? Didn't think
marigolds gave off any sort of repellent smell? Don't know what flowering
tobacco is ... will go Google pic it

Just seen some flowering tobacco and it looks ok - however it seems to like
full sun and it's poisonous. My bed in question is mostly shaded until
high-summer, when it gets about half a day of sun (the latter half). Also
the garden needs to be child-friendly, though I'm not sure just how
poisonous they are.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , al
writes
"al" wrote in message
Really? I'd heard that sprinkling tobacco ash on the beds helped, but as

don't smoke that isn't much use! What's with the above two? Didn't think
marigolds gave off any sort of repellent smell? Don't know what flowering
tobacco is ... will go Google pic it

Just seen some flowering tobacco and it looks ok - however it seems to like
full sun and it's poisonous. My bed in question is mostly shaded until
high-summer, when it gets about half a day of sun (the latter half). Also
the garden needs to be child-friendly, though I'm not sure just how
poisonous they are.

You will find it very difficult to produce a garden without a single
plant which is poisonous.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 12-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Sacha

al11/4/04 8:56
@ne ws-binary.blueyonder.co.uk

"al" wrote in message
Really? I'd heard that sprinkling tobacco ash on the beds helped, but as

don't smoke that isn't much use! What's with the above two? Didn't think
marigolds gave off any sort of repellent smell? Don't know what flowering
tobacco is ... will go Google pic it

Just seen some flowering tobacco and it looks ok - however it seems to like
full sun and it's poisonous. My bed in question is mostly shaded until
high-summer, when it gets about half a day of sun (the latter half). Also
the garden needs to be child-friendly, though I'm not sure just how
poisonous they are.

You will find it easier to make a list of plants that *aren't* poisonous
than one of those that are. Most plants are toxic to some degree, including
daffodil bulbs. I think you will find that the RHS hasn't reported any
plant related deaths in simply years. I might not suggest planting Ricinus
but I've seen plenty of it in municipal planting in France!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Rhiannon S

Subject: Plants that cats don't like ...?
From: Kay Easton
Date: 11/04/2004 21:28 GMT Daylight Time

You will find it very difficult to produce a garden without a single
plant which is poisonous.

Not impossible though, I knew someone who managed to keep a 100% edible garden
without it turning into a vegetable patch. It would be an interesting project
to do.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Old 13-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Ben Blackmore

I saw one in a catalogue about a month ago, it was a crossbreed, apparently
3 or 4 different plants/shrubs that cats don't like all inter-breed to make
1 seriously bad smelling plant to cats, but also one that humans couldn't
smell as at all!

Can't remember the plant or the catalogue at the moment, but I will check if
we still have it tonight, it was one of those free sunday paper things, with
mail order plants!

Ben

Old 13-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Ben Blackmore