GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Name That Insect (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/58654-name-insect.html)

Amos E Wolfe 11-04-2004 02:34 PM

Name That Insect

Whilst digging the garden recently I unearthed a couple of what I believe to
be insect larvae, but what type of insect will they grow into?

They are about an inch long with a pale creamy coloured body and tan/brown
head. There are a number of red spots along the body and small hairs. The
tail end looks smooth like a worm.

I have uploaded a couple of pictures of them he

http://www.ineedmorecustomers.com/b3ta/insect1.jpg

http://www.ineedmorecustomers.com/b3ta/insect2.jpg

If they are something that is likely to damage the garden, any tips to
discourage them would be appreciated.

-=# Amos E Wolfe #=-

Janet Bennett 11-04-2004 07:04 PM

Name That Insect

http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/gre...tle_larvae.htm
Have a look at this site, maybe helpful

Jaques d'Alltrades 12-04-2004 02:06 AM

Name That Insect

The message
from "Janet Bennett" contains
these words:

If they are something that is likely to damage the garden, any tips to
discourage them would be appreciated.

Melolontha melolontha - cockchafer. Will eat roots, especially grass.
They become a coffee-coloured beetle and can often be seen at dusk
flying round lone trees, etc.

They are a pest, but IME they don't do a lot of harm unless they are
present in large numbers.

If you find one, just leave it out for the birds - they'll love you!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Tim Challenger 13-04-2004 08:05 AM

Name That Insect

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 01:21:54 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

The message
from "Janet Bennett" contains
these words:

If they are something that is likely to damage the garden, any tips to
discourage them would be appreciated.

Melolontha melolontha - cockchafer. Will eat roots, especially grass.
They become a coffee-coloured beetle and can often be seen at dusk
flying round lone trees, etc.

They are a pest, but IME they don't do a lot of harm unless they are
present in large numbers.

If you find one, just leave it out for the birds - they'll love you!

....or just bung them in the compost heap. They'll live happily there and
not cause any harm. As you say only a pest in large numbers. The grubs live
in the soil for 5 years before maturing then living a week or two as an
adult beetle.
--
Tim C.