GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poisonous plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/58707-poisonous-plants.html)

Victoria Clare 14-04-2004 12:03 PM

Poisonous plants

Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article , Edwin Spector
writes
Just how poisonous is an apple tree?

ISTR the pips contain minute amounts of cyanide ;-)
Not enough to do any harm unless you were to eat them in *vast*
amounts, but they are in the same family as bitter almonds and cherry
laurel.

I believe that I have read of someone who got appendicitis through eating
apple cores and the pips becoming lodged in the appendix.

....any good?

Cherry twigs apparently cause liver and kidney problems in rabbits...

Victoria

Jane Ransom 14-04-2004 12:32 PM

Poisonous plants

In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes

I believe that I have read of someone who got appendicitis through eating
apple cores and the pips becoming lodged in the appendix.

T'were oi!!!!!!
I used to eat the whole of the apple except the stalk.
Had a perforated gangrenous appendix at the age of 8 :(
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Jaques d'Alltrades 14-04-2004 01:32 PM

Poisonous plants

The message
from lid (Rodger Whitlock) contains these words:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:08:35 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I know someone who nearly died of septicaemia after pricking his
finger on a
rose thorn that had been sprayed by some nasty chemical.

Rose thorns present a known hazard of this type. I doubt the
nasty chemical had anything to do with the resultant bacterial
infection.

Barberry thorns are even worse, however.

And as for blackthorn.....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Kay Easton 14-04-2004 01:32 PM

Poisonous plants

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes

I believe that I have read of someone who got appendicitis through eating
apple cores and the pips becoming lodged in the appendix.

T'were oi!!!!!!
I used to eat the whole of the apple except the stalk.
Had a perforated gangrenous appendix at the age of 8 :(

I can't help wondering why you baulked at the stalk
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Kay Easton 14-04-2004 01:32 PM

Poisonous plants

In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes
Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article , Edwin Spector
writes
Just how poisonous is an apple tree?

ISTR the pips contain minute amounts of cyanide ;-)
Not enough to do any harm unless you were to eat them in *vast*
amounts, but they are in the same family as bitter almonds and cherry
laurel.

I believe that I have read of someone who got appendicitis through eating
apple cores and the pips becoming lodged in the appendix.

...any good?

I guess they'd be very bad news for a diverticulitis sufferer

Cherry twigs apparently cause liver and kidney problems in rabbits...

I did a quick google on poisonous plants, and some of the symptoms
described were very compelling ... but they were on vets' sites. I
suppose it makes sense that plants would have evolved with good defences
against pure herbivores.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Jane Ransom 14-04-2004 03:09 PM

Poisonous plants

In article , Kay Easton
writes

I can't help wondering why you baulked at the stalk

Don't really know myself.
We used to go out in the car a lot and always had apples. I never knew
what to do with the core and, as we weren't allowed to chuck it out of
the window, I just used to eat it. I suppose I was always a bit of a
rebel and, if I wasn't allowed to chuck the whole core out of the
window, at least I could chuck the stalk out!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Mike Lyle 14-04-2004 04:32 PM

Poisonous plants

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...

http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Ref...ison%20a-m.htm

| It runs to 7 pages. ;-)
|
| I got ahead of myself there - 7 pages is just A to M. A to Z is 12
| pages!
|
| A lot of these seem to be rated 1 ie non-toxic. How many pages is it if
| you exclude these?

Dunno, but it is sufficiently incomplete that I wouldn't bother with
it. Try runner beans, flowering tobacco (nicotiana), bluebell,
common laurel and horse chestnut, to name but a few commonly-planted
decoratives.

Just moved house, so I can't give a proper reference, but in one of my
boxes there's a good HMSO book (one of the Agricultural Bulletins
series, I think),*British Poisonous Plants*, written chiefly from a
vet point of view with case descriptions. It always cheers me up.

Mike.

Nick Wagg 14-04-2004 05:36 PM

Poisonous plants

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.10...
Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article , Edwin Spector
writes
Just how poisonous is an apple tree?

ISTR the pips contain minute amounts of cyanide ;-)
Not enough to do any harm unless you were to eat them in *vast*
amounts, but they are in the same family as bitter almonds and cherry
laurel.

I believe that I have read of someone who got appendicitis through eating
apple cores and the pips becoming lodged in the appendix.

I heard of someone who saved apple pips (because he liked the taste)
until he had a bagful. Then died of cyanide poisoning after he scoffed
the lot.
--
Nick Wagg

Victoria Clare 14-04-2004 07:37 PM

Poisonous plants

Kay Easton wrote in
:

And forget-me-not, and grape hyacinth? Honeysuckle, marigold, peony,
privet...

Honeysuckle berries and privet berries are both poisonous. Privet has
a violent purging effect and can be fatal to children.

Some marigold species can apparently cause minor skin irritation -
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Tagetsp.htm

Peony roots can cause paralysis:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/cumberland/h...rdennote21.htm

I also found a reference to forgetmenots possibly causing liver damage,
though I couldn't find anything bad about grape hyacinths.

One thing to note with 'poisonous plant' lists is that many of them are
prepared with herbal medicine users in mind.

So, they aren't just warning you against risks to passing kids (unlikely
to dig up your paeonies and eat the roots, I think), but they also
provide info to try to discourage people who would otherwise boil the
stuff down and drink it, or rub it in all over.

I found the thing about liver damage and forgetmenots on an AIDS advice
site which gave me the impression that some of its users might try
almost anything in desperation.

(Mind you, there's no denying some urglers are adventurous eaters!)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Jaques d'Alltrades 14-04-2004 08:32 PM

Poisonous plants

The message . 10
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

I believe that I have read of someone who got appendicitis through eating
apple cores and the pips becoming lodged in the appendix.

...any good?

Urbane miff.

Cherry twigs apparently cause liver and kidney problems in rabbits...

So does the landing after they've flown up to get them.

Jaques d'Alltrades 14-04-2004 08:32 PM

Poisonous plants

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:
In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes

I believe that I have read of someone who got appendicitis through eating
apple cores and the pips becoming lodged in the appendix.

T'were oi!!!!!!
I used to eat the whole of the apple except the stalk.
Had a perforated gangrenous appendix at the age of 8 :(

But I bet it wasn't a pip wot dun it, yeronner.

Janet Baraclough.. 14-04-2004 09:03 PM

Poisonous plants

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:

In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes

I believe that I have read of someone who got appendicitis through eating
apple cores and the pips becoming lodged in the appendix.

It's an old wives tale. Applepips are no more likely to get lodged in
the appendix than any other undigested seeds, grains etc.

I used to eat the whole of the apple except the stalk.
Had a perforated gangrenous appendix at the age of 8 :(

My sister and mother both had a perforated appendix, and neither of
them ate pips.

Janet.

Sally Thompson 14-04-2004 09:34 PM

Poisonous plants

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:50:57 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Nick Maclaren13/4/04 3:20
. ac.uk

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| The RHS Encyclopedia gives some such details but not for all plants. If
| people want a garden in which they can be certain that no smallest degree
of
| harm can come to anyone in it, they're going to find it problematic.
| I know someone who nearly died of septicaemia after pricking his finger on
| rose thorn that had been sprayed by some nasty chemical. Few people ask if
| such things will endanger their lives!

I once cut my head on the corner of an ill-placed safety cabinet.

I met someone in the fracture clinic a couple of years ago who'd
broken her ankle smelling the roses! (mind you, I'd broken mine
falling off the doormat.....)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Isn't it ROSPA that says 'most accidents happen in the home'? ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Email is sallydogthompsonatbtinternetdogcom, replacing dog with dot

Charlie Pridham 15-04-2004 11:34 AM

Poisonous plants

om...

"Neil Jones" writes:
| "Sacha" wrote in message
| o.uk...
| Sacha12/4/04 10:11
|
| This is an alphabetical listing of poisonous plants:

http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Ref...ison%20a-m.htm

| It runs to 7 pages. ;-)
|
| I got ahead of myself there - 7 pages is just A to M. A to Z is 12
| pages!
|
| A lot of these seem to be rated 1 ie non-toxic. How many pages is it

if
| you exclude these?

Dunno, but it is sufficiently incomplete that I wouldn't bother with
it. Try runner beans, flowering tobacco (nicotiana), bluebell,
common laurel and horse chestnut, to name but a few commonly-planted
decoratives.

I certainly wouldn't rely on it, there are some glaring omissions and the
random use of common names or botanic names makes it hard to find a plant
even when you know its poisonous and what its called!
one well know poison I couldn't see (but it may be there under a different
name) Strychnos toxifera or curare.
I think the advice at the beginning of the page is spot on, if you don't
know something is edible you should assume its poisonous!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Nick Maclaren 15-04-2004 11:36 AM

Poisonous plants

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| I certainly wouldn't rely on it, there are some glaring omissions and the
| random use of common names or botanic names makes it hard to find a plant
| even when you know its poisonous and what its called!
| one well know poison I couldn't see (but it may be there under a different
| name) Strychnos toxifera or curare.

You could tell from the length that it was intended to cover only
common garden plants - I didn't know that was one.

| I think the advice at the beginning of the page is spot on, if you don't
| know something is edible you should assume its poisonous!

I will experiment with some families but, as you know, I have enough
botanical and toxological knowledge to make an educated guess. I
will not experiment with the solanaceae or fabaceae/leguminoseae,
despite the number of food plants in those families! Nor will I
trust Web pages that say they are edible without further evidence
(black nightshade being the obvious example).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.